Picked up grandson James on our return from Claymore for a week at Casa Papa's. I have been educating him in old sayings like "once in a blue moon" and movie quotes such as "Get away from her, bitch!" and "bajes! We don't need no steenking bajes" etc. while sitting through some purely action movies.
Part of the deal of course was a couple of wargames, I settled on Bolt Action rather than destroy his mind with Chain of Command, so I set up the Budapest canister drop scenario. James took the Germans while I led the Russian attack, we also again set up possible air strikes. As the battle unfolded I managed to take out a King Tiger with a lucky shot from a T-34/85 while my infantry got to their canisters, medals and food were found, no ammunition, James found the same along with medical supplies, to win we now had to take the enemy canisters or control a glider which was about to crash land somewhere on the table. James managed a few runs by a FW-190 while I got one from a Yak-3, they mostly strafed the infantry squads.
 |
| Somewhere in Budapest. |
 |
| Hurrah! |
The Germans had a second option if picking the 'golden die', this was a HJ tank killer team which was using the sewers to move around unobserved by the Soviets. These kids were a one shot wonder and popped up in the rear of the T-34 and let loose, the tank shuddered to a halt imobilised while the lads again went underground. The glider crashed and thankfully did not land on top of anyone but right next to some Volksturm and a Russian squad, so that objective for now was contested.
 |
| Yak-3. |
 |
| Tiger kill! |
 |
| Luftwaffe turns up. |
 |
| HJ suprise the Soviets. |
As the clock ticked down I failed to move some Kriegsmarine from one objective while James took one of mine protected by some NKVD troops, he had snatched a victory at the last moment. This is quite a good scenario for Bolt Action.
Next up was a large War and Conquest Roman civil war game, James took Emperor Maximinus Thrax's Rhine veterans while I commanded my favourites, the Twelfth. The battle began as both sides advanced their flanks replete with cavalry and skirmishers, the opening moves did not go well for the Thunderbolts and I lost both as my cavalry fled. I now advanced my right flank cohorts quickly before the enemy cavalry reorganised, the rest of the army waited while James moved his veterans towards them.
 |
| Legio XII Fulminata. |
 |
| Rhine veterans. |
 |
| Thrax on the left, Thunderbolts on the right. |
Horror! My cohorts on the right were now destroyed and sent fleeing, my whole right flank had now gone, I had made a libation to the gods but it was obviously not enough, defeat stared me in the eye. What had happened to the Thunderbolts? I was now forced to lead my last legionaries off their hill and into James' veterans while I sent all my skirmishers to annoy the victorious enemy cavalry on my left and keep them occupied. Against all the odds my boys smashed the enemy and cut through Thrax's centre, capturing the Emperor in the process, the pendulum had swung in my favour. As we approached the last turn victory was tantalisingly close, it would depend on whether Auxiliary II could hold off the veterans of XXII Primagenia, up until now they had managed spectacularly.
 |
| The armies advance. |
 |
| Thrax's victorious cavalry. |
 |
| Struggle in the centre. |
 |
| Thrax's winning Contari. |
 |
| My boys about to break the enemy centre. |
 |
| The last desperate combat. |
We decided we could not end the battle at this point and that winning or losing would depend on that one combat, whoever won would claim the laurels. Sadly my Auxiliaries had nothing left having held the veterans for three turns and James turned his luck around at the last gasp. Victory to James.
A great game and I had warned James at the start I was not going to hold the Twelfth back. I was shocked when my right flank went but the boys almost turned it around and although the Auxiliaries had been beaten they had put up a magnificent fight against a superior enemy. I remain disappointed in my cavalry.
Busy again next week, Chain of Command with Matt on Tuesday and ACW on Thursday with Simon. The bunker remains open for business.
Grand(son) games there George. James must have been mighty chuffed with beating Grandad twice. Do you think he will join the ranks?
ReplyDeleteThanks Phil. The jury is still out on the other question, not a lot of opportunity for him at home.
DeleteYou are a model Granddad!
ReplyDeleteMore a grumpy old granddad Jon, ta.
DeleteTwo cracking looking games and nice to spend playing them with your grandson and congratulations to him on his successes!!
ReplyDeleteThanks Donnie. It was the dice I tell ya.
DeleteYou are doing what all good grandads do, sowing the seeds of interest and enjoyment of their hobby. Where it takes him is for the future, but he will no doubt always treasure these games with his grandad, so keep putting them on. Mind, you winning the odd one would help make him more determined to beat you for the next game. For context I have yet to beat William!
ReplyDeleteI was trying to win David, I am not that good 😉
DeleteGreat stuff George - I thought your Soviets were going to win game one - but obviously not to be - the table layout and ruins look great!
ReplyDeleteThe NKVD caved and lost their objective, but a good fight. It’s nice to get the ruins out, a different kind of game when they cover the mat.
DeleteMarvellous to have two games with your grandson George. And you 'let' him win both too! :)
ReplyDeleteLove those mid-imperial Romans.
Best wishes, James
I may not have played my best game in the first 😉 but I would never hold the Twelfth back. I have had a word with the cavalry commanders and I look forward to the next game. I expected more from the enlarged Cohors I. Thrax’s army is nice, and very tough.
Delete