Friday 10 September 2021

Projects

 I was still on a high from my game with Mike Jordan last Sunday, leading my favourite army against a worthy opponent is one of the highs of wargaming. War and Conquest like wargaming with WRG back in the day gives me butterflies in my stomach as I hone my choices for the upcoming battle and as both sides deploy. Once the first orders are barked, the die is cast and everything settles down and may lady luck smile on the victors.

The club this week was a throw down game of Dead Man;s Hand, a great little game without the butterflies. Newcomer Jimi has invested in DMH so I set a game up as it had been a few weeks since we had a gunfight. We had a three way off the cuff scenario where a bunch of cowboys were determined to protect the stage carrying their payroll to the Wells Fargo office while two local gangs of Desperado's tried to steal said payroll.

A gunfight erupted between Jimi's guys and Simon's cowboys ensconced in the saloon across from the Wells Fargo office, I manouvered my own men towards the office and tried to keep them all together, apart from Fat Bob who went hunting with his shotgun towards Jimi's end of town, while Pecos Bill sniped away with his rifle from a nearby rooftop. Jimi began to lose the fight as men dropped in the street, his rash attack melted away and he returned to his starting point to seek shelter, I was still slowly walking down Main Street as the stage swept past me and screeched to a halt out side the Wells Fargo office.






 I ignored the stage as time was of the essence and marched my boys up to the saloon containing the cowboys, I had a bad run of cards which meant I had to move first and Simon took advantage of this, but I only lost one man before the whistle went. In the end I still had five men standing, Simon four and Jimi three however the money was still not safe and we needed more time which was not forthcoming. A nice little game but we really need to sort out the scenario and its rules before starting, I wanted to take or attempt to take the stage as it rattled past but I don't think that would have been a popular move. Next week Stuart asked me to help playtest a set of rules he is writing for Battlestar Galactica.

Matt and I have been unable to continue with our campaign this week, so we have penciled in next Friday for the attack on Villeroux. I am still awaiting my Panzer 38(t)s after getting Hetzers sent instead so I painted up all my new Chain of Command tokens. I also started a project which has been eating away at me for some time, Little Wars TV played a Bolt Action scenario based on the St Nazaire raid in 1942 ( here )and I thought I would love to play in something like that, and the only way I could see it happen is if I did it myself.


 I have the table so bought a load of polystyrene sheets to cut the harbour from, these were packing pieces and quite cheap. I duly cut them to size although I had to shave off 12" from the original map as my table is five feet wide and not six, but I deduced that if the Commandos got that far onto the back of the table the Germans would be well beat and the game over. I then needed to paint the tiles and thinking that an acrylic spray would not melt them I blasted away, but yes, they melted. I then scoured the house for old paint and found some which, mixed up I decided would do, I didn't want to spend a fortune on what might be a one off game. Happy with my 'harbour' I decided I needed a few more industrial type buildings, I do have some but not enough, I managed to get some from eBay, two sheds and a factory type building for decent prices, I can sort out everything else. I hope to get the game played early October. I already have a few volunteers for a dangerous mission lined up, should they accept ........................



My son bought Blood Bowl to play with his son, now this game has intrigued me now and again as the club has a very healthy league and everyone seems to enjoy themselves. Having some spare time I have been looking at the game and especially the figures used, I also watched several painting tutorials and was really impressed by the results, I also thought I could do that. For once however I am unsure, I have been close to buying a team and getting the 'official' paints but have not done so yet, I should really try to get a game at the club as it is something which is way out of my comfort zone. Watch this space.

Map projects continue to come in at a lively pace, the campaigns of Charles X of Sweden, the Battle of Lissa, Battle of Hastenbeck, Transylvanian Armies and once again some World War I maps.

10 comments:

  1. George, DMH does look like fun mate! I have very recently been treated to a couple of introductory games of Star Wars Legion and crikey it’s a fab game. In the second I had Luke who managed to despatch General Grievous but a pair of Droidekars finished off the brave Jedi. All very thematic and great fun. Hope we can enjoy the blitz at Villeroux on Friday.
    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you are having a good time. Legion has been seen at the club and I played in one game, really nice figures. I could sort a DMH game as a starter for the weekend. May the Force be with you.

      Delete
  2. A lot going on for you, George. I really look forward to seeing the progress on your St. Nazaire project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I really thought I was done. Best laid plans etc. Jonathan.

      Delete
  3. Very bold project in respect to the St Nazaire game! I will look forward to watching the terrain develop, it was a fun game to watch on Litte Wars TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am no competition for the original but I think I have the means to make it work John. Finished some cheap sheds today so one more set of buildings and we are off.

      Delete
  4. All going well there George, lots going on and to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keeping busy I see, just as well as you'd only be moaning, or buying more WWII stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can be busy and moan David, multitasking I believe it is called.

      Delete