Monday 9 May 2022

Gin Pit II

 Off to Grange again yesterday for another large Napoleonic bash in the Gin Pit, although I have since learned it is actually the Gin Pig but the Pit fits better as it is in the basement and quite dark until your eyes become accustomed to the gloom.

The French this time were defending trying to hold off the Allied pursuit after Waterloo, we, as the Allies were to burst through and complete the rout. There was a British presence this time as several of the lads had been painting furiously since the last game to get some redcoats on the table. I was in charge of two Dutch/Belgian brigades and was in the centre of the line, we had a small O Group meeting and I volunteered that we hit the defended village hard and fast before French reinforcements turned up while Rob over on our right with most of our cavalry and some infantry simply put pressure on the enemy to stop them helping with the main fight.


 So much for the plan, James, in command of the Allied far left manged to move his cavalry but his infantry doggedly refused to move, and when having moved, blundered and returned to their start point, this effectively meant the French right was in no danger while the main action played out. Stuart on my left did manage to get his men up but took such fearful punishment he had to fall back and simply stay put for the rest of the time, thankfully he had damaged the enemy to his front enough that they could not follow up their success.

 

The village.

My  brigades wait as the tension mounts

The Allied right.

Rob on our right was doing his job if overly keen, I couldn't be sure as I had my hands full, I did send him my Scot's Greys to help. Now, what was I doing, well basically throwing away what chance we had of taking the village, As my first brigade set off at a pace, the second decided not to bother and then decided simply to move to the right rather than advance, ensuring I hit the French piecemeal. It was now I forgot all tenets of warfare and simply threw my brave boys at Ed's waiting legions without any preparation at all, I was blinkered and even more so as I threw an assault into some skirmishers ensconced in a nearby barn hoping to take it over and enfilade Ed's line, nope, my wave broke on the walls. The French fire now caused serious disruption to my attackers and forced them back, my second brigade had now managed to force themselves to the front but were not serious about attacking and again I found I could not urge anyone to keep attacking. 

The French Guard had now turned up and was advancing on Rob who put up a very spirited defence against them. Andy had turned up late but had brought some British, playing commander again I told him where to go as I could see my command folding and the Guard or even Ed's troops falling into a large gap which had opened. Sadly for Andy his newly painted boys did not want to get dirty and he spent most of the game trying to get them to move forward (once failing three command rolls in a row!) A smashing opportunity opened up for him eventually which could have driven a wedge into the French line but his men were three quarters of an inch too short, I pleaded for the French to let him have some fun but the hard nosed Froggies were having none of it.

My boys advance.

The first are in action while the rest wait.

Julian famous Guard turn up.

 I then had a brigade break and leave the building while the second was teetering on the brink, and what did I do, march them back into jaws of hell, only surviving by the skin of my teeth before darkness fell. I cannot blame the dice, they were fine although Ed's were finer in the end, he also handled his defence with skill while I trusted in brute force, big mistake. At the end James had at last manged to get his infantry up into the village but it was too little too late, Stuart languished at his high water mark while I looked over a debacle, Andy decided to change his dice and Rob put up a superhuman effort against the French Guard. My only bright spot was the Scots Greys, but only one squadron, the other was a disappointment and such lovely figures.

Rob and Andy put the pressure on.

My attack breaks down.

Stuart is replused.

One of Robs incessant charges.

 So there you have it, another great day in good company. At one point while I was commiserating with Andy on his die rolls I head a shout of "Georgy Boy!" Ed was obviously desperate to continue my humiliation, "Georgy Boy" do you know I am old enough to be your grandfather, an ex member of Her Majesty's forces, stood eye to eye with the Red Menace and the Yellow Peril, sailed against the IRA and here I am reduced to "Georgy Boy" indeed, Leading Radio Operator Georgy Boy to you my lad.

Black Powder rules deals well with a game this size, however two things which I am not keen on had a large affect on the Allied plan, failing command rolls again and again, James and Andy particularly suffered from this. The other is the automatic disorder from being hit by a six, I know the ACW and SYW players at the club have a house rule to mitigate this, but on Sunday it played havoc with my attack.

Not much on the Italian Wars front since the completion of the Swiss pike, I am 95% done with their accompanying handgunners and have a unit of Gendarmes ready to go next. I also took the opportunity this morning to order up the next pike block, French this time so no stopping for a break this summer.

I had a customer come to the counter and ask "you are in to military stuff aren't you" to which of course I tentatively said yes, he unwrapped his parcel and showed me a small rusted wheel between  two bits of aluminum. This is from a Whitley Bomber he said and he was sending it to some people who were trying to restore one although I got the impression they might never manage it.

Whitley bomber.


14 comments:

  1. A grand looking game there George. Disorder in a six is one of my favourite bits, especially when it B"*#rs up Dave's attack😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It, along with my foolishness, certainly did for my attack. Nevertheless a good day.

      Delete
    2. 'Disordered!' The default state of my units in most games, ask Jon!

      Delete
    3. Not today though, ask Phil!

      Delete
  2. I like "Gin Pit" too! Another wargaming spectacle by you and your friends, George. Or it is "Georgy" now?
    Having never played BP, I am not sure which bits I would find offensive. I have seen lots of complaining, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping Georgy will not stick, I was called General offshore which I did like, but strangely only by the electrical department. The rules suit these big games and you can get a result, plus we now all have a working knowledge without yelling for Rob every five minutes. But yes I do have reservations.

      Delete
  3. A Grand Day Out there George! 'Dailing against the IRA is a new one on me though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great day. 'Operation Grenada' patrolling against arms smugglers, 29 days, if we had done one more I would have got a medal.

      Delete
    2. Oh, and despite one tip off we never caught any.

      Delete
    3. Why was I Anonymous? Blasted Blogger no doubt!

      Delete
  4. Splendid looking game! But “Georgy Boy” 😂 Well… could have been “Boy Georgy” 😳

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking game George a grand scale !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt, I believe they are getting bigger with several painting British now.

      Delete