Thursday, 23 July 2026

Rollicking Rolica

 A quick trip to Penrith this morning in lovely sunshine to hide away underground playing wargames. Matt had set out a larger table than usual for the Napoleonic battle of Rolica, I confess I don't know a lot about Napoleonic campaigns apart from a very basic idea. Despite my admiration for Napoleon himself. Matt explained that his French were sitting on a hill which was heavy going for the British to climb and then presumably assault. 

The battlefield.

The French.

My cavalry.

I had forces at the bottom of the hill ready to go while reinforcements would arrive around turn 4. I decided that I would attack the French left and try to overwhelm them while my cavalry and light troops would threaten the right, my centre would march forward and see what happened. As I reached the slopes I was slowed down and began to take casualties, you can shoot or move so it took time for me to get my men into a position where their numbers would count. My cavalry and light troops were doing a sterling job on my left and drove the French cavalry from the field and began to turn the enemy flank.

My left flank.

My cavalry move forward.

My centre advances.

Although my battalions were taking a thumping they managed nevertheless to stay in line and soon more Frenchies were fleeing. I had also now got an attack column on my right into position to assault the crest of the hill, despite everything these brave fellows also routed their opponents. My reinforcements now turned up and I sent them towards my centre, just in time as I lost a couple of battalions here, once again I managed to get an attack column into position only for it to be beaten by some Swiss as they charged down the slope in an attempt to halt the British advance.

Stalwart redcoats.

Chase them off lads.

My right about to crush the French left.

By this time the French left and right were almost non existent and my cavalry were now in the French rear. I turned everything I had against the remaining enemy infantry and another attack column swept away the Swiss, one French regiment remained but could not stand against several redcoat brigades. Matt handed over his sword.


The French right threatened.

More British arrive.

At them lads!

The tables had indeed turned, Matt destroyed me a few weeks before with my own dice, this time however lady luck wore a red coat and I pulled off some nice morale throws which kept my initial brigades in the fight and wore down the defenders. I was more than chuffed. Another excellent game in the Dungeon on a lovely table with beautiful figures. The rules were Valour and Fortitude which Matt enjoys, especially for larger games than Rolica. Next week we will be in the Bunker and back in 1940's France, it has been a while since I had Chain of Command on the table.

I am almost finished the book on Alexander and I have to say he doesn't come across well, the amount of times he promises mercy to forts or towns only to murder the populations once they surrender is quite horrific. I think by the time he returns from India he seems to be losing his mind, at least that is what the author seems to be implying.

I have been hit by the nostalgia bug and looked out some photographs of my time on HMS Sheraton, a minehunter. We were on our way to Gibraltar for deep sea sweeping trials (we could sweep as well) and stopped off at Portimao in Portugal. You can just see the bottom of the black Sandeman's Sherry logo which we used in one pic, the other we had just been to a local vinyard and we are carrying bottles of rose, most of which did not make it back to the ship.

Great day out.

Me, centre back.

Gunnery practice.

I have had my first treatment and spent a relaxing ninety minutes being 'filled up'. 


No comments:

Post a Comment