Sunday 2 February 2020

Vapnartak 2020

As sun sinks in the West I have arrived home safe from Vapnartak in York, a show I thought I would be giving a miss this year, but then I also said I would stop eating sweeties, neither prediction has come to fruition.

I had a list for the show with several question marks against some things which I did not need but would like, I had also decided if I did not go I would be sitting in the house with nothing to do and either her indoors would soon find something or I would get on with maps which I really do not like to do at the weekend if I can help it.

It was a miserable drive across in almost constant drizzle but it was not as cold as it has been in the past, we got in about 1020, I expected free entry being of a mature age but I now pay £3, which is more than reasonable to be honest, perhaps it is a sign of an aging hobby and a loss of revenue?

Armed with my list I headed up to The Last Valley to find several of his shelves empty already, especially of the medium sized trees I wanted, I was further frustrated by a guy in front of me pulling most of the remaining trees into a sales bundle, I was also miffed when he picked up an already waiting box of trees, how many trees does one wargamer need, especially when I am in the queue behind him. I had to content myself with three medium trees and four or five small ones, I noticed one lonely pine all on its own and thought I would come back for it but I never did. I then zoomed over to Empress Miniatures and admired their whole range which was on display, lovely stuff, it was make your mind up time, to Volksgrenadier or not to Volksgrenadier, yes, within minutes I was swiping the plastic and tucking away a full platoon for the fall of the Reich. What about Fallschirmjager flashed across my brain, you need Fallschirmjager, and don't forget Paras, NO!

Dark Age raid.

WWI

Impressove French battleship.

Modern raid on airport, very nice.

Eastern Front, German retreat, the cinema in the middle right actually showing a movie!

Rules of Engagement, Eastern Front again, very nice pieces on this table, sadly guy forgot where he got them.

Infamy, Infamy, TFL, not tempted but very nice table.

One more big buy with a question mark at the end, up to Warlord Games, yes they had an IS-2, and yes I got one, also a medium mortar, not required for Chain of Command but it is for Bolt Action. Imagine my surprise on getting home to find the IS-2 box also contained eight plastic figures for Tank Riders, I am not keen on plastic but I consider these to be freebies and will most likely keep them.

What about the show, well you know I look at Vapnartak as a trade show rather than a wargame show and you cannot complain about the traders present, if you live above the Watford Gap this is the show to get your goodies post free. There were several very large games displayed on the lower floor and all had had time spent on them and looked impressive, I will admit to only giving these a cursory glance as I sped about looking to throw money at people. There was the usual line of smaller games, mostly participation games in the higher level and most of these were of very high quality and unlike last year I spent quite some time talking to the demonstrators who were more than willing to talk figures and rules.

With only a handful of shekels left I settled down at the Black Seas table run by club mates Rob and Julian which was doing brisk business and surrounded by eager players, I think the guys fired up quite a bit of interest in the game. It was at this point that one of the onlookers asked us about the club, he was moving to Carlisle and wondered about the wargaming scene in the Northwest, we talked for some time about wargaming in general and I really enjoyed the chat and wished him well in the border city.

What did I get, well almost everything on my list, Volksgrenadiers, IS-2, mortar team, tufts, barbed wire and some beautiful shell holes from Urban Construct at incredibly low prices, paints, brush a bottle of 'mud' and of course trees. I am a happy bunny......now, who does Fallschirmjager.....

Need to draw more maps....

15 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you had a good day. Vapnartak is one of my favourites but I missed it today for the first time in several years. Race Courses seem to make good venues for wargames shows?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always surprises me how small the bar area is considering it is a popular racecourse, you can never get a seat. However it was a good day, glad I went.

      Delete
    2. Hi on race days virtually the whole of the stand is various bars and restaurants. If we did the same as a club then your wargames retail opportunities would be curtailed. Glad you enjoyed the show though. Nathan Vappa lead

      Delete
    3. That explains things, I wondered where the punters drowned their sorrows, ta.

      Delete
  2. Enjoyable Report-out, George! Looks like you had a fine day out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very fruitful visit there George, painting all that splinter on the Volksgrenadiers may cure you of wanting Fallschrimjager too๐Ÿ™‚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of my Germans have splinter or camo Phil, no problemo. It was a good day.

      Delete
    2. Ah, you have the jump on them then๐Ÿ™‚

      Delete
  4. Grand haul there George, but no SYW...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great stuff George! Some really amazing looking tables and a nice haul there to close out the post ๐Ÿ™‚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ivor, always some really big tables at York, the smaller ones were also of a very high standard this year.

      Delete
  6. Nice report,

    I realise the chap asking about Carlisle probably may never read this, however I feel I should weigh in :)
    there's quite a bit up here in the wet & windy North West, but as with most things over here it's all hidden quite well!!

    For clubs there are:
    • West Coast Gamers (http://westcoastgamers.co.uk) who have branches in Whitehaven, Workington & Aspatria (Aspatria is only about 10-15 mins from Carlisle itself)
    • Carlisle Gamers (https://www.facebook.com/groups/CarlisleGamers/)
    This is the biggest group in Carlisle, has it's own dedicated venue in the city centre and is open pretty much every day of the week.
    • Border City Gaming Hub (https://www.facebook.com/bordercitygaminghub/)
    A new club from 2019, meets every sunday in the Carlisle masonic hall

    Shops:
    Hadrian's Hobbies in Brampton (maybe 10 minutes from Carlisle? possibly less)
    Stocks a bit of everything, from warhammer to historicals as well as board games.

    Bow and Blade Games in Cockermouth (Not a Bricks and Mortar store) (https://bowandblade.co.uk)
    Hobby tools, paints, dice, grass tufts, airbrushes, everything the discerning wargamer needs to make their lead pile look it's best!

    Shows:
    Phoenix - Lakeland Wargames Exhibition (https://phoenix-show.co.uk)
    Yes, Cumbria even has it's own Wargames show! Held in the Lovely Rheged Centre in Penrith there's 20 traders, a host of games, a couple of tournaments and this year there'll be a painting competition too! Held on the last Sunday of June this year will be the 28th June 2020.

    Manufacturers:
    Bow & Blade Games, Hadrians Hobbies both make their own ranges of products but there's also some more well known manufacturers who reside within Cumbria too.

    • Z1 Design (http://www.z1design.co.uk/)
    A range of products from 3D print files to dice boxes and miniatures

    • Victrix (https://www.victrixlimited.com/)
    Based in Kendal, doesn't have a bricks and mortar store, but still in Cumbria!

    There's other clubs further afield, such as Dumfries, only a short journey from Carlisle has an excellent club and show (Albinach, run by Solway Crafts and Miniatures https://solwaycraftsandminiatures.webs.com/) and clubs in Barrow in Furness, Ulverston, and I'm sure a couple more too!

    If anyone would like to know any more about gaming in Cumbria, please don't hesitate to get in touch with me, or any of the companies & clubs mentioned above, we'd all be very happy to help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, I did cover quite a few of the above points and recommended Phoenix to him. I knew about Barrow but not about Ulverston. Thanks for the info.

      Delete