Wednesday 21 October 2020

Please spare us from the madness

I have just read an article from Wargames Strategy and Soldiers, a real headline grabber, Challenging Historical Stereotypes, hard on the heels of other worries in the hobby, not enough women, inclusivity, diversity et al, prepare to have the joy of wargaiming sucked out of you. Enough of this hand ringing and self flagelation, I have spent fifty odd years without worrying about the periods I play, or that my opponent ticked a pile of imaginary boxes before setting up and losing myself from real world concerns with any like minded individual willing to meet me across a table. Now that is out of the way, I can report things are moving on the Berlin front, I now have a nice collection of bricks and gravel for debris, oil cans, boxes, street lamps and my mat is on the way from Milan. Several other bits and pieces are on the way and others have yet to start their journey, the main buildings for instance. While ordering the street lamps from Rubicon I bit the bullet and also ordered up an 88mm flak gun, quite a few of these were in Berlin during the battle so I may as well have one as well. I ordered the Rubicon one but got the crew from Empress Miniatures as an early war German crew were no good to me and civvies were the next best thing. The model and the new crew are all first class.
Since completing my small industrial unit and using it in a scenario I realised I needed a fence for it, Andy Duffell over at Tiny Hordes Blog had put together a chain link fence and it looked good, so I kept his article in mind and a couple of weeks ago I went past a place I normally do not go near, a DIY store, it was a WIckes and had a lot of different sheets of what we sould describe as model fencing, it escapes me what they call it. I got a large piece for around £6. I remembered I had some MDF bases lying around so cut them up into long strips, to these I attached matchsticks and then glued the 'fence', this I had cut into strips to fit the MDF and around 40mm high. I used Evostick wood glue and clothing pegs to hold it all together, once this chore was done I spray painted everything grey, drybrushed with steel then again with rust, I added a couple of barrels and a tyre I had lying around. Andy went a step further and put hinges on his gates, I didn't.
You know I upgraded my warbands a few weeks ago, well I forgot two, the Western Patrician Romans have two, so another order off to Footsore and Little Big Man Studios as all my old transfers have fused together it being several years since I bought them, I also of course had to order new bases, so a bit of a side step. Along with this I now have a small lead mountain gathering which is unusual for me, two SYW battalions and a couple of limbers are also in the 'ready use locker' patiently waiting. At the moment I am painting up the 88mm crew and will then do the gun, hopefully by then my buildings will have turned up. I have just finished Sicily 43 by James Holland and bought David Glantz's When Titans Clash, he is an acknowledged expert on the Eastern Front if not thee expert and as I have worked with him on an Atlas and with my recent turn to the East, I thought it would be a good idea to read some. Now back to Sicily 43, like Burma 44 I did not enjoy it as much as Normandy 44 and to be really honest I was glad to finish it. I only came away with two things which stood out, Patton was very strange and the poor Paratroops and Airborne men had a dreadful time of it, mostly due to poor planning and training of transport pilots and not the enemy. At the moment I am reading The Run Of His Life (The People vs OJ Simpson) about the OJ Simpson trial, the TV series of the book drew me in as it was very good, I just had to read the book.
I have been lost recently for something to watch, because it won so many awards I decided to give Schitt's Creek another chance, no, it needs flushing. I have gone back to Misfits and started binge watching it again, great stuff, a classic. I have found Criminal which I had kept flicking past, big mistake, really enjoyed it, so much I am now watching the French one and will continue with the Spanish series when done with that. I am keeping the new series of The Boys as a treat to myself when I can steal the telly for a couple of nights.
At the moment I am running another Dark Age game by email so a report on that next week probably, bits and pieces with maps, doing some scenario maps for an upcoming set of wargame rules and I have been asked if I would be interested in doing maps for a Sci-Fi author, now that will be interesting if it gets off the ground (see what I did there.)

12 comments:

  1. So much going on, George, I don't know where to start but I will single out a few...

    Schitt's Creek: With awards and great reviews, Nancy and I gave it a go. Actually, we gave it two goes. We could not make it through the second episode. Garbage!

    Industrial Modelling Project: When I look at your fine work, the perimeter fence could double as the fencing for a German POW camp. Maybe that is a setting to consider for one of WWII skirmish games?

    Challenging Historical Stereotypes: I ordered the pdf of WSS110 based on Robbie's report on this article (see https://independentwargamesgroup.blogspot.com/2020/09/inclusivity-anyone.html) but have yet to carefully read it. That is in my reading pile.

    You continue to keep yourself very busy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan, yes a lot on the go at the moment, hopefully keep me occupied until the next lockdown farce here. I was once asked by the BBC to appear and talk about wargames and they asked me if 'we' wargamed Northern Ireland, that was beyond the pale for me.

      Delete
  2. Your Berlin project is coming on at a fair lick, looking forward to its first outing on the table, nice to see your other stuff being added to. I have just stArted the Sicily book, I have started to assemble the Perry Americans for said theatre must say the fit of the arms and bodies are shocking they seem to have took a step backward in my opinion. Drive past the PO earlier, had it been earlier in the day I would have pooped in for a stamp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worry a bit about the speed Phil as it was supposed to last me all winter, but it won't at this rate. Pop in anytime if you are passing, I don't mind the odd customer :)

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you've been a busy boy George! The Boyscus a great series, try the Umbrella Academy if you've not seen it. That's another good show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed Umbrella Academy, really took to No.5, he did a great job.

      Delete
  4. George -
    You do like plenty of variety in your life, that's plain! Great to see someone else who likes 'The Misfits'. Bizarre concept that somehow 'works'. I could say the same about 'Hard Sun', which I liked but seems by and large to have been unpopular among viewers and critics alike.

    On the reading list now: Barrie Pitt's 'Crucible of War' and David Graeber's 'Bullshit Jobs -> The rise of pointless work and what we can do about it', and just about anything I can find online about pre-dreadnought naval architecture...
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ion, I liked Hard Sun and remember it, something really different but it was not to be. Graeber's book sounds right up my street.

      Delete
  5. Woke Wargamers Bimonthly! Not a magazine worth bothering with I find. Looking forward to seeing your take on Berlin and on the SYW regiments next week😉 The fencing is very good by the way, top notch job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope I have not overreached myself with Berlin, I have a grandiose idea in my head but practicalities will win out. The fencing did turn out well. This week has been very busy for me otherwise you might have seen at least one battalion.

      Delete
  6. Another delayed response to an interesting post. I have to find another computer to comment as my main one does not allow me to be continually signed into my blog. I like those fences, I might copy that myself. I have to admit I do ot care the least who I game with as long as I can find gamers. I very much doubt that the hobby is dying out.I enjoyed the first season of Criminal, I will have to give the 2nd season a go.I am curious why are you playing games by email and not virtually, just curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Email suits me John, I can leave the game up for a week or so and do things at my own pace. The other reason of course is the tech part might be a bit much for my patience. I was pitifully hoping that the games I have shown since March in here would elicit some interest and maybe a newbie, but that has fallen on stony ground. In almost nine months I could count on two hands how many have stopped and asked questions on the set ups. Unless we have a revolution, which we British are unused to, my wargaming will suffer from Covid Fear for at least the foreseeable future. As the old song said "In the year 2525....."

      Delete