Wednesday 9 August 2023

A mix up

 I said some time ago I was going to cut back on blogging and to be honest I have had a struggle sitting down to this. On one blog I follow people were asked if they liked reading After Action Reports and if my memory serves the outcome was not uplifting if you do write AAR's which I do, a lot. So where does that leave me, I think if I do wax lyrical about a battle it will now be one of the larger affairs I play at home, which for now will be WWII Eastern Front and Italian Wars or a visit to the Gin Pit or Matt Crump's.

I am still gaming of course at the club and a couple of weeks ago got a narrow victory against Jimi with my Late War Germans using Bolt Action. Two more recent games deserve a bit more attention as they were unusual in their own way, the first was Wars of the Roses with an introduction to flavour of the month 'Never Mind the Billhooks' which Charlie very kindly brought along for me to 'have a go'.

I had a lot of lovely WotR figures at one time but sold them about six or seven years ago, a big mistake not to be dwelt on. I watched several videos on how to play the game and the first thing that struck me is that they were very quick and very bloody, a bit like Furioso on a small table if you don't tone them down. I won the toss as both Charlie and I are supporters of the House of York so took the good guys. You have a core force and then choose some cards, I got pikemen and extra men-at-arms, an audible sigh from across the table meant I had obviously done well. Having the edge I decided to attack all along the line. As my men trundled forward I opened up with my archers as did Charlie, this as I said above can be brutal, you have two actions so with a twelve man unit you fire twenty-four dice, men began to fall. Charlie had sent some light cavalry against my left flank but I chased them away so it was now down to combat as the main lines clashed. My pikes won and the Lancastrians lost their left flank in the chaos, my men-at-arms hit the enemy centre and more Lancastrians fell or fled, the game was over, it had taken a very short time to come to a result.

I am an Old School wargamer and unashamed of it, I like big battles, NMtB is a largish skirmish game and seems a bit rock, paper, scissors to me, the author says it is not historical but a game, and he is right. I used to play Poleaxed, it was historical, for the period and boring, NMtB is not boring and I would play it again as it is probably more exciting than the real battles and great for a club night with constrictions on time. (Sorry but I lost my photos).

My second game was last night and a Bolt Action scenario I took from a wargame magazine, it looked interesting and better than the vanilla scenarios in the rules. The Germans were retreating on the Eastern Front, a small force held a wooden bridge over the Berezina, a column of stragglers and a convoy of trucks filled with wounded were trying to escape the pursuing Russians and cross the river, so far so good. The flaws started to show as I deployed the Germans, the blocking force, stragglers and trucks all came on (as far as I know) on the road, this meant they had two moves before the main bulk of the Russians turned up on turn 3, this was not enough to get the infantry into cover of the nearby woods and out of range of the enemy it also meant the trucks were well within range of the machine guns and main guns of two T-34's. To make matters worse the bridge had been rigged with a flamethrower tank to burn it down should the Russians ever get there, this could be hit on a roll of two sixes. On turn two Simon got two sixes and chose to light up the bridge, I was stuck with 8 turns to go. The Reds turned up and my men began to be wiped out as they tried desperately to get some distance between them and their pursuers, I gave up and marched sullenly East until 1955 on turn 4.

Bridge Defenders

The first stragglers.

No more bridge.

Hopeless situation now.

The game was rubbish and ended up pretty pointless, I had a blocking force and maybe it was supposed to set up in the village, but this was right up against the eastern table edge, the tanks could have come on and simply shelled the houses, in Bolt Action hiding in a house (yes I know) is pointless with HE around. The woods were far too far to reach before the enemy turned up, the squads were then caught in the open, do I run or halt and go down to be shot up later, no matter I could not afford to stop and shoot. I do wonder if the game had actually been played before being published or was there parts missing. A waste of an evening. I do however think there is a decent scenario hiding in there and will give it some thought.

I have not done a lot of maps or painting in July but did get some Neapolitan crossbowmen done, I have my mojo back and a Neapolitan pike block is up next.


I finished of my holidays at the weekend with a trip to Edinburgh and the Tattoo, we had a hotel on the edge of the Grassmarket with the castle looming over us and everything on our doorstep. The city was extremely busy and crowded, on the Saturday afternoon we visited the Museum of Scotland, personally I wasn't interested in dinosaurs, the natural or science worlds, the fashion and design parts, yes Rennie Mackintosh again, hideous stuff. I quickly made my way to the History of Scotland, Bruce and Wallace shared a glass cabinet, Mary Queen of Scots had one portrait, the Jacobites were nowhere to be seen, maybe in a small cabinet I passed, who knows, the exhibits were all over the place and it was like a maze when I tried to get out. I was underwhelmed, whether you agree or not the Scots have had a huge influence on this planet considering the size of the country, both on their own and joined with England but I did not get a sense of that at all.

A night cap of Monkey 47 after a hard days driving.

Almost first through the door.

Smile!

Then it was time for the Tattoo, there was a slight drizzle but we had come prepared and it stopped after a time, or maybe it didn't as I was lost in the spectacle, it was my fourth time and we have just booked for next year when the Royal Navy are the hosts. My disappointment of the museum was blown away as the massed pipes and drums formed up in the esplanade and bagpipes and drums stirred my heart, I wanted to invade somewhere, anywhere. There were Swiss, Norwegians, Trinidad and Tobagans and Americans as well as the RAF, I really liked the Norwegians, I believe there should have been Aussies but not that night. A fitting end to our holiday period.

You really had to be there.

And if you were not try this.

I almost forgot, I got a nice visit from David Bickley of Tales from GHQ which I follow, we were both in Edinburgh at the same time, he at Claymore and me at the Tattoo, he is now staying just down the road from me. We had a good chat about wargaming despite our wives being in residence.


17 comments:

  1. I bought Poleaxed when I was going to play WotR even reading them was boring🙂 NMtBH looks far from boring. I played that scenario last October using Battlegroup rules the Germans lasted till turn seven
    http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/2022/10/crossing-berezina.html?m=0
    You rounded your trips off splendidly, museum notwithstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOTR battles are brutal conflicts minus all the treachery and silliness of wargames rules special events. Poleaxed was fairly historical but the battles lacked excitement as a game, NMtB is way at the other end of the scale. I read your Berezina post, glad it wasn’t just me, the Jerries don’t stand much of a chance, very difficult to balance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On the matter of battle narratives, I very much enjoy reading them. I quite like writing them as well. One does like some context, though, which is why most of my battle accounts begin with some kind of 'raison d'être', and end with some kind of ... consequence.

    I just like stories.
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ion, I too enjoy a good retelling.

      Delete
    2. Like Ion, I enjoy reading and writing battle reports. I try to keep mine concise to be read and digested easily. Not always successful, though. On the blog post referenced, I was encouraged by the number of readers making the effort to read a BatRep completely but also dismayed by the number who skim or skip them routinely. I guess we must be satisfied by our own pursuits. Chronicling our games is important, I think. Don’t give them up!

      Delete
    3. Thanks Jonathan, I will give it some thought

      Delete
  4. Nice to see you and visit the Warton War room, I am only greenish with envy of the space, mitigated by not having to endure the building works!! Nice pictures of the WWII game. As to 'Never Mind the Bollocks', not been tempted yet with our Italian Wars collections but you never know. By the by, I enjoyed the mass pipes on Farcebook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As the War Room is almost seperate we hope not to be too inconvenienced. NMtB is not a serious wargame but is very much the type of game in vogue these days. The massed pipes and drums cannot fail to stir the emotions.

      Delete
  5. Billhooks is an excellent game. It came along at just the right time as my regular group were contemplating a WotR campaign and we adopted it enthusiastically. You're right that it's a bug skirmish game but it adapted well to very impressive multiplayer games which definitely had that 'big battle' feel... https://shedwars.blogspot.com/p/shed-wars-does-war-of-roses.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Found this in Spam Alistair. Yes I have seen Eric’s project, I take it you are now enjoying the new pr3mises.

      Delete
  6. Always tricky to get a good balance with an AAR, in terms of not making it too long, but capturing the flavour of the game at the same time. I'm still working on this balance but try to do a wash up at the end of what worked, what didn't etc.

    NMtBH seems popular and for many gamers a simple game more than suffices, especially if you only have a few spare hours mid-week. Shame that the BA scenario was pants and didn't give you a decent game. Hate it when that happens.

    Hope you carry on Blogging, as I much prefer Blog posts to FB, Twitter and even YouTube than many seem to have turned to these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve, I doubt I will give up with AARs completely I enjoy some of the games too much.

      Delete
  7. George an interesting post that underpins some blog weariness - though mostly the impact of external factors i.e. what others may read or not read.

    I used to have a fairly animated view on this, feeling that creative types were broadly let down by consumer types, but I have come to a point of acceptance of the whole thing and simply do blog material that I enjoy, though I have cut down on blog length as a character trait is being ‘wordy’.

    I enjoy seeing your tables. You tend to go to the larger scale, while your table sizes are often within the bounds that I can manage at home and I like that counter-point that you don’t have to go to small scales simply because one games in a domestic situation.

    I also enjoy your maps as it tends to reinforce the above i.e. it brings into focus that there may be just 10 units on the table, but they are giving a good game.

    I hope you keep at it as your blog has a sense of a wargamer talking to wargamers about what is happening on the table and I like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An uplifting post Norm as I sit here looking out at the rain and grey mist in the distance and ponder what is ahead for the day, thanks.

      Delete
  8. I love ready other people's battle reports. I gives me ideas for my own games. And for me it's a great way to keep track of the games I've played. I often go back and read one of my old reports. If I hadn't recoded it I would probably have forgotten all about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to have a good memory for battles past and can recall many from decades ago, notable for some heroic or not so heroic deeds. And yet the missus can tell me to put the bins out and its gone......

      Delete
  9. Always good to try new rules. If they're good then you can keep playing them, if not then you know you're not missing out.
    Agree about AARs and blogging mate. The CoC campaign reports have generally been *very* popular but most other battle reports (SP2, BA, etc) get low traffic, so I'll not be bothering too much with them in future. The blog is a handy painting reference though.
    Glad you and Mrs A enjoyed Edinburgh.
    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete