Wednesday 17 April 2024

New Blood and Back On Track

 We had two of our grandchildren here last week, Gabrielle of course was not interested in wargaming but James was and the first words out of his mouth was "Papa can we have a wargame?" So in the interests of the hobby and bonding I set up a small introduction to the Seven Years War for him, nice colourful soldiers and flags a plenty. The game went well although it was technically a win for me, but who is counting. The next day found us on the plains of Northern Italy, my French took a pounding as James led the Imperials to a hard fought victory, but as I said, the result doesn't count. Tuesday was club night and I took him along to a game of Black Seas kindly set up by Rob, we were the British and although we did not manage to gain our objectives we did sink some Frenchies and took a prize back to old Blighty so Rob gave us the win. What was the downside to the visit, I had to sit through the latest Ghostbusters movie which was a traumatic experience, especially the £7 hotdog.

Italian Wars.

Seven Years War.

Rob with the patience of Job.

The new room is now done as you know and these will be the last photographs I shall bore you with, they are out with the old and look at the new. I should be able to give you a look at the outside in a couple of weeks, then you are free.

I organised a game of Bolt Action with 'Lucky' Jimi last night but first had to pick him up, I had offered as the wheel on his car fell off last week while he was driving and the result was a right off. Once again I decided to go outside my comfort zone with my forces and I took two halftracks and a truck along with a Marder III for support. Now the Panzer and Panzergrenadier divisions were the spearhead of the German Army and not a lot was ever successful without them, but on the wargame table you hardly ever see armoured infantry, especially in a points based system as you can get more bang for your buck elsewhere for the short duration of a typical wargame. Anyway, I had stolen a scenario idea from Matt Crump at Wargames in the Dungeon and decided this time to use transports, a first for me really in Bolt Action.

There were secret plans or some other special maguffin thing on the battlefield but neither player knew exactly where, there were three objectives but only one had the goods under it, I had let Jimi know about this beforehand. The game started well and I got my truck right up to the central objective while the two halftracks moved on the flank objectives, I added a supporting infantry squad on the right, Jimi was late to the deployment but the last die was mine and I took advantage as my Marder edged forward and took a long range shot at the British Sherman, a stunning shot took out Jimi's tank on turn one, things did not look good for the British.



The British attack.

As my troops debussed the British seemed to be drawn to the centre objective but they were advancing across open fields of fire and casualties mounted. My two squads on the right easily destroyed the enemy squad there and were preparing to mount up and continue to the centre. It was now with most of his veterans cut down and his remaining forces left with an uphill struggle 'Lucky' Jimi gave up. This left me in charge of the three objectives and the secret thingy was found on the right. Sadly Jimi's luck was diabolical during the game and using the transports certainly came as a surprise to him. I'm sure he will get his own back.

The Germans move on the centre.


Crippling fire mows down the Airborne.

But still they come.

A dying gasp from the British anti-tank gun.

The papers.

Whenever an opponent has the ill fortune to require a good throw and ends up with something bad I usually express my sorrow with false sincerity, "What a shame." This has caught on at the club and I have been a victim myself of this barb, so I got in touch with my inner artist and the result is down below.

 The club recently has taken an interest in Dark Age and Ancient battles and there is a large clash nearly every week now with some impressive armies. Now as you know this is right up my strasse and I have been looking for this for years, am I happy, no, not really. Hail Caesar has taken a hold and these mighty armies have either turned up or been built with this in mind, despite my joy for the lads who are obviously enjoying themselves I remain wedded to War and Conquest. Big Ed has decided to ensure I mend my ways and has got me to promise to join him in a game, it would be churlish of me to refuse but don't hold your breath.

Matt will be here tomorrow to continue with our Eastern Front 1941 campaign, it is game nine and if Matt succeeds in taking the village of Mikheykovo he gains a major victory. If I hold the hamlet we fight the last game as a German attack and I could, however doubtful, gain a minor victory, otherwise the laurels go to Matt. My main problem was that after being pushed back at the beginning I was too eager to cut the Russian supply line and forgot how to actually win the game, ouch. I have also managed to book some games here into May so Italian Wars, WWII, War and Conquest and some American Civil War are all on the cards.

11 comments:

  1. Well done on games with the younger, doing your bit there! You should embrace Hail Caesar I'm sure you'd enjoy the experience of loosing yourself in the story. Best of luck in the East!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Played Hail before and not impressed, but I am sure Ed will put on a good game. Will need some luck tomorrow.

      Delete
  2. Looking good…hopefully I can borrow the t shirt tomorrow 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to the game, let’s hope it’s me that needs the T-shirt.

      Delete
  3. Good to hear the lad as took an interest in the wee little men. Quite a transformation from shop to gaming den. Nice looking game if Bolt Action, will you buy into 3rd edition although?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m sticking with first edition Phil nothing wrong with it in my view 👍

      Delete
  4. Thanks Phil. I am already fed up with the buzz on 3rd Edition, I think the changes will be cosmetic so will probably stick with 2 which I thought was a rip off, unless the changes are major.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doubt there will be major changes it's to tied up in the tournament scene who just play "the game" Sad really has I am sure there is a decent WW2 game in there.

      Delete
  5. Great to see youngsters getting involved in the hobby George…
    And with such a nice mix of games…
    The before and after shots of the shop are splendid… I’m surprised you didn’t leave a little rack of biscuits just for old time sake 😁

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  6. For a young lad he is surprisingly good at picking up rule sets, much to my chagrin, "Papa read the rules!" The Parish council want to put up a blue plaque to show that there was a post office here as the village now only has two pubs, perhaps it should mention the miserable old Scotsman as one customer referred to me as. I don't need biscuits I took enough of the penny sweets over the years.

    ReplyDelete