Sunday 5 February 2017

Vapnartak

Ok, up early, sorted the View out, bacon sarnie and out the door, weather was OK, grey and drab but better than storm whatsits name, I picked mate Simon up and we were off, Mrs Satnav wasn't quite sure but we got on the motorway and off we went. I timed things so we got there after the rush which is just as well as the show was much busier than the last time I was here a couple of years ago. I got in for nothing being a young 64 although again I was a bit miffed the doorperson, for it was a woman, didn't have the decency to look at least a little surprised that I was that old.

The crowds were really noticeable as we wormed our way in, it was Simon's first wargame show and he looked pleased, we split up and went our own way. I stopped and had a quick word with Simon and Michael at Curtey's/1st Corps where they pointed out their new Romano-British cavalry, although very nice my Romano-British army is complete and will not be getting any more troops added. The lads are putting on a War and Conquest day on 29 March at Snaith and I confirmed I will be popping along.

The amount of traders was eye popping, nearly every big wargame outfit and many of the smaller one's were present, all were doing a roaring trade, despite this I only had to wait once for a space into which to shove myself and offer my money. I went with the intention of buying very little and my list was three items written on the corner of an A4 sheet I had with map instructions on it.

I went off the rails at Ainsty Castings which had a load of Footsore bubbles on show, I bought the King Arthur figure for my Patrician general, he looked irresistible close up. A stupid idea crossed my mind for at least five minutes, which was to buy the figures I had already ordered and was waiting for and jump the gun, but commonsense prevailed and I put the blisters back. I then got my magnetic paper from Coritani which was on the list, but it would be the first and last of the three I had there. I surrendered at Great Escape Games and got more tufts, something you can never have enough of, the good thing about seeing them up close is that you get a better idea of the colours as opposed to looking and guessing online, something I have messed up several times. I also got some foliage which I will change out with the stuff on my German tanks at some point.




I passed my favourite terrain place, The Last Valley, and couldn't resist getting some stone walls, I have the Warlord pack but these will now go in reserve, TLV's walls are so much better, and as most of my WWII terrain is already from him they will fit very well. I just wish the guy would smile a bit more.

Then, as I prepared to leave I bought what I knew all along I would buy but kept saying I wouldn't because I did not need it, but it turned out I did need it after all, the gorgeous Warbases Roman Villa. I comforted myself that I managed to resist the Roman Temple, for now. David over at Tales From GHQ has one and I shall watch the construction carefully to see how his develops as I am not in a great hurry to build mine now that I know it is safely ensconced in my study.

Simon also managed to spend a bit and like me got a bit extra as well, he now has female snipers for Bolt Action, the male snipers were bad enough but now they will have attitude, he also got the War and Conquest rule book as well as a starter pack for a Greek Hoplite army, things are looking good for WAC in Lancaster.

So, my overall opinion of the show, it has almost completely morphed into a great trade show, the wargame part for me was disappointing, there were a few very good looking, large demonstration games and on one level of the building several participation games, one of which was run by two club members, Rob and Stuart, and was a big hit with the younger generation, I commend their patience. You cannot visit a show like this and not realise how lucky we are in our hobby, there is something for everyone.

Rob and Stuart, Stuart is actually taller.

On leaving and getting back to the Batmobile I found it had sunk into the wet ground, and as I tried to get her out the more she sank in, disaster was staring us in the face, a car stopped and a young lad came out and helped us try and push the car free, it was no use. We needed traction or more people, I looked in the boot and the only thing which might work was the wife's five star picnic blanket, it had to be done, I opened it up and stuck it under the wheel which looked to be the worst. A burst of energy, a hefty push and the Batmobile was free, the criminals of Gotham......sorry. I gingerly picked up the mud spattered blanket and folded it up as best I could and popped it back in the boot, that will be another story. My very grateful thanks to that lad who stopped whoever you are.

15 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good day out George, bar the swamp incident. Good luck with your villa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good day out, albeit the missus hasn't a clue about the blanket yet.

      Delete
  2. "Something for everyone" sums up York wonderfully. We probably take much for granted.

    Judging by the state of the centre part of that field where people parked, I think you may have had plenty of company with those entrapped by mud. I passed the tell-tale tracks on the way to my car, with some trepidation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was looking dodgy for a time there, I knew when I parked it was going to be bad news, but I shrugged it off in the excitement.

      Delete
  3. A jolly good show again it seems, maybe we will make the effort again next year. Would have missed the snow though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised at how busy it was, but very much a buyers paradise.

      Delete
  4. Always park in the top car park or reverse in and point downhill. One year my Volvo estate got stuck, many men required :). Good show, I got 6 tanks I didn't need, 4 stalingrad sceneries, decals for tanks and morghur master of skulls to complete my beastmen characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could not help but weaken with the goods on show, I shall remember those tips for next year.

      Delete
  5. It was a great show and as George said it was my frist. I must take my hat of to George and say thanks you very much for asking if i would like to come a long. it was a great day out many thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for coming to our show. About 10 years ago we had to move from the Merchant Venturer's hall in the city which was small and very dark. We took a big gamble and moved to the Racecourse. Since then the show has blossomed. Traders and visitors keep on coming back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was certainly quite spectacular this year in regards to traders, I expected to spend about £2.00 and ended up £100 short :)

      Delete
    2. George you are a wargamer of merit, top marks :~)

      Delete
    3. It's the best hobby in the world.

      Delete
  7. Glad you had a good time sir. Knew you'd buy a few extras tho! ;o)

    ReplyDelete