It's been a bit since I ventured on to a battlefield what with the holiday then real life to catch up with, seems a bit like 'hurry up and wait'. Anyway I had arranged a game with my son accompanied by my grandson and Stewart had asked for American Civil War, a follow up to the game we had a month or so ago. This meeting seems to have woken us all up and Johnny Reb is back with the gang.
![]() |
| James smiling if but for a moment. |
I chose the battle of Oak Grove from 1862, the game was a prelude to the Seven Days' battles, 'Fighting Joe' Hooker's division takes on Benjamin Huger's Confederates. The fight takes place in heavy woods between the defensive lines of both sides. Stewart chose the Rebs while I of course took the Union, young James decided on wearing blue, he commanded my right hand brigade as it had a full complement of rifle muskets and only one green unit.
Stewart came on at a steady pace and took up a good central position beside the French farm while I took the School House, we both had skirmish lines deployed but the Reb's seemed to be almost invulnerable behind their fence and guns had been brought up to support the flanks. The Reb artillery proved to be fairly inadequate due to the calibre of their guns this early in the war. The Union artillery were still far from the front line. This meant that both sides concentrated on their flanks, I was slow to build up a line of battle on my left while James and the Rebs opposite him both had a long walk through the woods to get to grips.
![]() |
| Battle commences. |
![]() |
| Both sides advance. |
Before long Stewart closed with my left but had misjudged the range of his smoothbores and took some losses while his return fire was at long range, over on the Confederate left Armistead's brigade had got to within striking distance of James' men. Stewart saw an opportunity and launched charges against the Federal flanks. As the chits were revealed the Union line had guessed right and the Yankee's readied their muskets. Not one Confederate charge was successful and all were thrown back. At the same time I made some moves on the Rebs around the French farm and although the result was not as I had expected I nevertheless was in a good position to pressure the troops left there.
![]() |
| Reb right falters. |
![]() |
| Reb left collapses. |
It was now the time for the Union to countercharge, before I could issue the orders my left flank commander was hit by a sharpshooter and in the confusion his brigade did not follow up their successful repulse of the enemy. The right flank did attack and the Rebs fled further back into the woods. With two brigades gone and one left Stewart handed over his sword as the Yankees closed in.
![]() |
| Yankee left fails to follow up. |
![]() |
| Reb centre holds on |
![]() |
| Reb left has gone. |
NJohnny Reb was too much for James and he gave up, however his last move in holding his ground ensured the wave of Reb charges would be stopped. JR is too intense for a young lad with no knowledge of the period. I seemed to be having a bit of a struggle in the centre and was unsure whether I would be successful in the end, but the disaster which befell the Rebs saved me from more anxiety.
In other news I have or thought I had, completed my US Platoon. It turns out I need some extra figures for Chain of Command games although they are fine for Bolt Action, and of course to prevent this from stopping me sleeping I bought a support group to get the eight figures I need. And get this, they are plastic!
I have been playing a bit with ChatGPT, so I present you with your author as John Wayne and James Bond, come on, not a lot of work involved.
I think I have Matt coming down next week for some Italian Wars, looking forward to that, I could do with a win in this period it is long overdue.
I have had my fourth treatment and now require a scan to find out what all the drugs are doing to my insides.
Mate Robert popped in and left these, modesty prevents me taking an opposite view.


















No comments:
Post a Comment