Wednesday 26 July 2017

Scots Wha Hae

Last night was the big run out for Hammer of the Scots at the club, its appearance was met by sounds of appreciation as several mentioned an interest, and of course expressed a further interest in my being soundly thrashed being the only Scot in the club.

The Rebellion begins.
 We set up and played the William Wallace campaign, I refuse to call him Braveheart, I of course was Wullie while Simon played Edward I. I had a slight edge in that I knew how important it was to maintain territory in order to get as many Nobles on your side as you could but Simon had picked this up by the end of the night. The Scots 'rebellion' is strongest north of Stirling while the English control most of the land to the south, my initial aim was to clear out all the English supporters from the north and then make inroads south of Stirling. I started well and handily won several battles in 1297 and 1298 and only missed having enough Nobles to induce the French to turn up, after that it all went horribly wrong. As I tried to clear out the few remaining English supporters I suddenly found my troops had run out of enthusiasm e.g. could not kill the enemy, so quickly found myself on the back foot as Edward took over the Lowlands. Around 1303 I managed to make another aggressive push against the English garrisons but once again my efforts were in vain and all I could see to the south was English red. We ran out of time with just a few years to go, although Simon looked the strongest we both had six nobles each so the game ended in a draw.

Winter 1303AD and Wallace has a long way to go.

We started off throwing men into battle, but as we progressed we both started to understand that you had to position yourself for the upcoming Winter, or the end of the turn, otherwise you could lose forces or Nobles would change sides, bringing the enemy back to an area you thought humbled. Quite a bit of thought has to go into winning the game and each player has to look to the future while gaining ground in the here and now.

So how does the game compare with Robert the Bruce, not bad actually, my only real complaint and it is merely a game mechanic is that in RtB apart from your core faction when you try to compel a Noble to join you they will either do so, remain neutral or immediately join the other side, the heirs of dead Nobles may also turn Neutral or defect rather than meekly return to their fathers choice. The movement and combat in HotS is far easier, even if the latter is a tad awkward at first from other games I have played.

Overall both games are good, HotS is simpler and not as much fuss as RtB while still providing a challenging game, the latter however has a more historical feel to it if you know anything at all about the period.

Simon, being a boardgame fan, mentioned that the map and cards had been done on the cheap, and I have to say I did not expect a simple card map when I opened the box, even Robert the Bruce all those years ago had a hardbacked map. I am not too bothered about the cards but then I don't have anything to compare them with and have no idea what to expect quality wise these days. You can buy a board but that will have to wait.

I am painting again, not a new army, but the finishing touches to one, the troops belong to my son who, with moving house, does not have the time to complete the extra figures he has left so I have volunteered myself. They are Carolingian foot and mounted, they are a mixture of Norman, Carolingian, Saxon etc. with some hero types from Footsore, I don't like Normans but these figures are really nice, I am not in a hurry so pics much later.

13 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great game - interesting post.
    Of course, when I saw the post title, I was convinced it was a 'view from the window' rant citing the potential disaster surrounding 'indyref2' (if it ever gains momentum again) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This does look very tempting. And I'm up in London later in the week and just might pop into Orcs Nest....damn you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will enjoy the flavour of the game being from north of the border, good luck.

      Delete
    2. I resisted....this time....

      Delete
    3. Gamelore Alistair, cheapest price around, you know you want to.... :)

      Delete
  3. How come you say "while" when others say "whilst"? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scottish, never use six letters when five will do.

      Delete
  4. No 'View...", now a board game; are you ill?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this game but have not yet opened the box! I was aware that some people didn't rate the cards but I always sleeve mine. The map in the 3rd edition is actually the winning entry in a competition on BGG and seems to be well liked. The paper v mounted map argument is a persistent one in board gaming circles with people for and against both. I, like many people, use plexiglass sheets over paper or card maps while some people use poster frames.
    Component quality in respect of maps, counters (or blocks), cards and player aids remains an issue. Some publishers are better than others. Legion Games bring out niche games that are things of beauty while others now offer upgraded components such as mounted maps, or, in the case of VentoNuovo, extra large Goretex maps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got sleeves, but the board will have to wait.

      Delete