Thursday 26 March 2020

In Limbo

Apart from the odd lunch and a Tuesday night I may as well have been self distancing/isolating but when your choice is suddenly taken away you want it back, the choice to sit around doing nothing if I want is important, I see that now. I still get customers coming for the odd stamp and with a shopping return, nothing I suspect which is essential, however I retreat to the 'fortress' and they keep at arms length after which I sanitise my hands, counter top and door handles, from today I have decided to only open for three hours in the morning as the village is deserted and I may as well sit inside safe than sit here and wait to see what comes through the door.

My oldest son had ordered up some hand sanitiser and masks for his old folks on the front line only to fall foul of the scum that all these emergencies allow to float to the top of the pond, the site was a scam, thankfully he got his money back. Not for them "what can I do to help" but "how can I make some dough" it doesn't matter the crises up they pop. "Pssst, want some loo roll, £40 guv".

What am I doing, well I have some troops which I am taking my time to complete, some extra Soviets and a bunch of civilians, I also have a few more on the way so I can pass an hour or so of an evening before trying to find something to watch on my four or five streaming services, where's my book? I am also looking over my Eastern Front buildings with a view to 'tarting' them up. I also rescued a couple of Dark Age carts to use as dual purpose scatter.




Dark Ages
Russian Front
I had decided to try some solo games and at last give those SYW troops and rules a run out, then thought about a mini-campaign to give me a reason to fight a battle. I had a small WWI naval campaign lying about from 1987 based on the hunting of two German warships in the Mediterranean just before the declaration of war, the Goeben and Breslau, the British had to catch them but not be defeated by them, a tall order for at least a part of the British fleet. I found my three players and sent all relevant information out. As of this morning everyone is at sea and the hunt is on, I hope the players get some fun out of this, so far it has taken up most of my morning dabbling here and there and working out orders and courses which is great.

HMS Defence, hunter.
HMS Inflexible, hunter
SMS Goeben, hunted.


The campaign only lasts for a few campaign days, involves only a small number of ships and although it works best with three players and an umpire it can work with two and an umpire. The resulting battles can of course be safely fought at home. The campaign could also be adapted for any naval rules to be honest, pre-dreadnought up to WWII. I will do a full report on the campaign at a later date, however if anyone wants a copy then let me know.

12 comments:

  1. At least your getting a game in, in these difficult times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray, hope it doesn't last too long, take care.

      Delete
  2. Keep yourself engaged, George. Painting and solo gaming is an engaging distraction. I look forward to seeing your SYW troops in action as well as your Naval campaign.

    Stay safe and keep reporting on your activities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan, you too. Just ordered up some buildings for a small industrial area I have been planning, could be a long Spring.

      Delete
  3. Get those 7 Years war figures on the table, you know deep down thats what you want to do.
    Did I remember correctly you were going to use Honours of War the Osprey rules for your battles? A small campaign will while away the long spring days as you fight back the hordes of plague victims trying to get into the PO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is Honours of War which are on standby for now, this weekend might be looking good or the next as they roll into one.

      Delete
  4. Strange times are upon us, we live across from the Doctors surgery and pharmacy, seeing the folk in line 6 feet apart snaking down the street is quite Pythonesque.
    I have printed off some cards to have a go at some solo Bolt Action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw the same in Carnforth, the door is blocked so people only being served at makeshift counter (you cannot get in to see a doctor)they are all over the street six feet apart, god knows who is first.

      Delete
  5. Keep calm and paint on George, it's likely to be a few weeks yet. On our walk today we saw hardly a soul and it was so quiet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A wee bit of painting on the tray and some industrial buildings ordered up. Got two campaigns started which are fun.

      Delete
  6. Really enjoying the naval campaign :o)
    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete