Wednesday 18 March 2020

To the skies and beyond

With the current madness prevailing I wasn't sure the club would be open last night but yes, nine brave souls weathered the storm and turned up, we meet in a local school so perhaps our days are numbered but in the meanwhile it is mayhem as normal. I have been playing Coronovirus Bingo this morning, between 0730 and 0900 I heard or read UK death tolls of 500,000, 300,000, 20,000 or 12,000, actual deaths as of typing 71. God help us if we are ever hit with a real killer, although we will have the cleanest bums if panic buying is anything to go by.

Right, on a happier note Simon and I played Wings of War, the first scenario had the French, two Spad XIII's and a Breguet 14, on a mission to pick up a spy while two Fokker DVIII's and a DVII tried to stop them. As the first bullets flew one of the DVIII's caught fire, a fine start, however he and his wingman ignored the Spads as best they could and concentrated on the two seater, the DVII found himself on the outskirts of the dogfight. The Breguet managed to land close to the spy and as he jumped in quickly turned and began to take off again, the Fokkers were still on him though and the Spad's were missing the mark on his hunters. As the two seater climbed to gain height it was all over and he crashed in a ball of flame in no-man's land. One for the Hun.

Fokker DVIII's and Breguet 14.

DVII from Jasta 18

French two-seater

Spad XIII

Our second scenario involved the RFC and a damaged bomber trying to make it to British lines, this plane was attacked by two DVIII's who were then bounced by a British Ace in the superb Sopwith Snipe, in the first run of the game the poor bomber took two very high damage cards which ensured his early demise before the Ace could properly interfere to save him. We set this game aside and changed some of the rules for the second try. This time the Fokker's got on the bombers tail but in turn were jumped by the Ace, it turned into a race between the Germans downing the bomber or the Ace downing the two Fokkers. In the end we had misjudged again and found that the DH4 was just as fast as the German Scouts, which meant that with some manouvering to put off the Snipe the Germans fell behind and only managed to loose off long range shots. The bomber only just crossed the line damaged and on fire but he made it while both Germans planes hit the deck, the Germans had taken very severe damage from the beginning and of course one had been on fire as well which didn't help. One for the Allies. We called a halt then and headed home, as for next week, we will see.

The spy gets picked up.
 


In flames again as the DH4 tries to escape.

I have rescued some more scatter terrain from my Dark Age collection this time, two carts to be precise, which in order to turn into possible Eastern Front peasant wagons will only need the addition of an old mattress and a table and chairs which I have lying about. They are pulled by oxen I think but if you get that close to point it out then you are already involved a game so might be more worried about that T34 or Tiger coming your way. I am also hoping to get some of those extra artillery figures I ordered up today and maybe a civilian or two.

(Spoiler alert) I managed to watch the latest Terminator film the other night, and although I fought off the feeling of Deja Vu I enjoyed its senseless violence and set piece mayhem. Yes the three main characters were all strong women, who like me you will never meet in your lifetime, while the only man was a robot, but what really got to me was when the super soldieress, is that right, spat out the words "you don't give birth to a man, you are the leader." All Skynet or Legion as it is now has to do is drop a few spiders.......

The village has a COBRA meeting tonight in the village hall with the idea of assisting old people who have been ordered to self quarantine for their own good. I have already done my bit by assisting one old dear this morning by collecting her card and delivering her money to her. This not only goes against my reputation but shows how unfit I am as the small walk took its toll, despite me feeling 25, OK 30 in my brain I am only three years from being confined to my Casa.


12 comments:

  1. Glad you were able and o get a game in and that Snoopy prevailed in the second bash at at the Hun. Well done on doing your community bit too, as for mindless hordes less said the better, popped out to get a paint mask so that I can airbrush a commission piece, err no not a one, so now I cannot work or work less safely. Salute is off so hopefully I will be under no pressure to complete it. KBO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just before this hit the fan I got a couple of masks as I prime stuff in close areas, glad I did now, although I now wear one if a like minded soul comes in for a laugh. I hope this does not affect my trip to Waterloo in June or will the doom and gloom merchants still be at it.

      Delete
  2. Great little report, must get my planes out for a fly after the confinement to barracks is lifted in three weeks here in France.

    Cheers
    Matt
    French Wargame Holidays

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very colorful and exciting games, George! I am very tempted to pull my WWI aeroplanes out and have a go but aerial combat is tough playing solo...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks jonathan, yes, very difficult to play solo I should think.

      Delete
  4. Surely you missed a zero or two off your "death toll" figures? The Government's Chief Medical Advisor seems convinced that the UK is on course for at least 10 times the number of deaths as the rest of the planet put together. Possibly explains why everyone in authority is behaving like a decapitated chicken at the moment?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The village COBRA meeting started well, half of us left hanging at the village hall and the other half in the pub, doesn't bode well.

      Delete
  5. Very Biggles! Now, time to paint some SYW figures?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps being shut in I might get around to a game of SYW to give me a push, it's that or talk to the missus.

      Delete
  6. Nice game. Some of my buddies and I did one Thursday week before the seriousness of the situation closed us down. I like your flame marker.

    I see that the British are just as crazy hoarding toilet paper/tissue as the crazy Americans around here.

    Stay safe, buddy!

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim, ta, the flame marker is a pipe cleaner suitably painted, I have grey ones for smoke. So much for the Blitz spirit, more like I'm alright Jack.

      Delete