Sunday 4 June 2023

Even If It Is Wrong

 I am not a musical person but the words 'gotta do something even if it's wrong' from a song by Rockabilly band BR5 49 has lodged itself in my brain for the past wee while. The words are apt and a suitable epitaph for my last game at the club, I was interested in a Bolt Action scenario based on a real event during Operation Barbarossa where an immobilised KV2 held up 6th Panzer Division during the Battle of Raseiniai, some accounts say for a day. So I dug out the scenario to find the only thing in common with the original was an immobilised KV2, no matter it was something different.

The tank supported by a Russian infantry horde was attacked by a pretty weak German force over a large area of clear terrain except for the odd cottage, in Bolt Action the howitzer on the Soviet tank if it hits can destroy a squad of infantry. I did have a pioneer squad armed with a flamethrower and sent them off down my left flank, another I pushed on the right taking advantage of any cover so that the KV2 could not see them, the left flank approach was helped by a little wood while the right did not get far at all.

I set up a sniper and an MMG which to my chagrin were out of range of the enemy, I moved the MMG to get closer and yes, one shot from the tank took them out. Boris the sniper led a charmed life as the tank never took the opportunity to shoot at him, but then again he was no threat until later in the game when Simon advanced a squad on his left. I now aimed my mortar on the tank and got some good luck with a direct hit first time, sadly all this could do was put a pin on the tank, but it might help to keep it out of action. Simon negated this by bringing on a Captain whose morale bonus allowed the tank to mainly disregard the pins, a good move on his part.


Simon also moved a squad up on his right to counter my pioneer squad, but I surprised him with the flamethrower and destroyed them. I forgot to mention my little Panzerjager I which was to be my KV killer, I had also sent it down the left flank and eventually got to a position where it could take a flanking shot at the KV, it hit but did not penetrate, on turn six I got one more shot and it missed. The game was over, I needed to either get four units off the table (impossible) or knock out the KV, the latter was the only way the Germans could win this and I failed. It really was the wrong thing to do.


The real KV2 knocked out four 50mm anti-tank guns, and an 88, during the night it was attacked by satchel charges which had no effect and the next morning another 88 and some 35(t) tanks took it on, but did not knock it out, eventually grenades thrown down the hatches killed the crew. The crew were reinterred in 1965 in a Soviet military cemetery.

I managed to finish my second Spanish pike block last week, very happy with the way these have turned out, I have the figures for another pike block (Neapolitan) but have turned to Imperial cavalry for a change although due to having my granddaughter for the week and the lovely weather I have only managed to get these primed so far. I have more than enough troops to fight Julian and can also put up two large armies from my own collection so feel like slowing down a bit.


The Spanish enmasse.


I have a game with Matt on Thursday, our sixth in the Smolensk series and the introduction of a panzer platoon, my first time. Then on Sunday I am at Grange again, not Napoleonics this time but two large games, one ACW and one Colonial (Sudan), I chose the Colonial game, I believe Matt is coming to that as well. Nearer the end of the month another Italian Wars bash with Julian on the 22nd.

Summer has arrived with a vengeance, over a week of beautiful weather so far and another one promised for next week, wonderful when you don't have to work. We also had charge of our granddaughter and decided to visit Lancaster's 'Festa Italia' food, cars, music, entertainment, all things Italian, sounded good, too good as it turned out. Lancaster's idea of celebrating Italian culture was some red, white and green bunting and a badly coloured flag hung from a balcony, Oh, there was the blue haired knife thrower who turned up for 15 minutes in the square, no doubt Paolo or Guiseppe to tie in with the theme. Although this event ran from the 20th - 28th May all the stuff advertised was not turning up until the last day, we did not try again.

After the debacle of the Italian campaign I crossed my fingers and off we went to Chipping Steam Fair, this proved far better, a fantastic collection of machinery from times past and a military section, mostly transport vehicles but also one tank, a Chaffee in mint condition, there were drive pasts and competitions for the heavy stuff. The high point for me was the Wigan Ukelele Band, upbeat music with the odd touch of Northern humour all delivered with gusto and professionalism, worth the entrance fee on their own. Now this is just me, but there were dozens of banners and flags around and not one rainbow amongst them.




Ford Capri, I had one of these, vroom, vroom.





The Atlas I started on about four years ago has now got to the pre-publishing stage and should be out for sale in a month or so, I have been sent a mock up of the book and it does look good, but of course I would say that, I cannot vouch for the text and after four years maybe I would have done more with the maps but the fat lady has sung on this one.


9 comments:

  1. Curious game of BA there… I thought infantry officers couldn’t affect tank crew morale, but I haven’t played BA in ages so might be wrong.
    That pike block looks absolutely superb mate. A wargamer’s dream!
    Do like a vintage show, especially if there’s a few AFVs etc. but no rainbow flags… there’ll be activists there next year 🫣
    Make sure you take plenty of pics of the Sudan game! Can you grow some good mutton chop whiskers in time?
    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chain of Command I think there Matt. I think up here the activists would have to be brave especially at this kind of event, might send them some tickets, evil cackle. You can never have enough pikes although perhaps I am getting there.

      Delete
  2. First rule of Bolt Action, don't attempt to play anything historical 🙂 Sounds like the Italia event was organized by Topolino, the other was much better indeed. Grand progress on the Italian front your end though. Congrats on the book completion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. I am looking forward to seeing the completed book, it has been a long road.

      Delete
  3. You keep an interesting mix of activities to entertain yourself. Your pike block is massive and poses an impressive sight. Your AWI atlas is very interesting. What can you tell us about it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I drew 120 maps covering over 100 campaigns, battles and smaller engagements. Each is described by the author and although I have the mock up in .pdf I have not had time to read any of it yet.

      Delete
  4. You have certainly embraced retirement with gusto George! The steam fair looked interesting, as does the new pike block. Good luck in the Sudan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Retirement has been very easy to relate to, especially with this beautiful weather.

      Delete