Wednesday, 7 October 2026

Not another Road Trip!

 A fair bit happening but not on the wargame front. I had hoped to get a game with Erik but he has a bad back and bending over a large table will not work, I was supposed to be at Matt's but came down with a nasty cold 24 hrs before we were to cross swords, so that was cancelled, hence the solo game, We haven't managed anything for this week either due to real life butting in. Fingers crossed for next week and Italian Wars.

 I have received my first bunch of halberdiers to add to my pike blocks, you can use them in an attack but I have never used this rule mechanic but I will remember it in future, the same applies to Spanish sword and buckler men. I am in no hurry so will just plod away.

Mate Robert popped in again and having been warned not to turn up with a new platoon or chocolate for the Memsahib I thought the visit had went well. A phone call after he left asked "Have you found it yet?" perplexed me until I found the Warlord bunker and flak position hidden under my table. So I have built and painted the item and hopefully might get to use it as an objective for a game, I have a cunning plan.

Last Friday I found myself on the way to Smoke for a weekend with my son, Saturday was reserved for a walk around Westminster Abbey and a visit with some old friends and enemies, enemies mostly. First up was Longshanks (Edward I) followed by Henry V, Elizabeth I, Edward III, Mary Queen of Scots, Aymer de Valence and that villain Henry VII. A worthwhile visit.

Mary.

Mary again.

Margaret Douglas, mother of Lord Darnley.

Henry VII tomb.

Again.

Edward III.

Elizabeth I.

Henry V.


Longshanks.

Unkown soldier.

Where Charles I was executed.

We had time to kill on Sunday before our lecture with Andrew Roberts, Graham took me to the De Haviland museum where they have a prototype Mosquito and from where the first one flew from a nearby field, they have two more and they are beautiful. They have quite a few other aircraft there along with other interesting bits and pieces.

Practice 'bouncing bomb'.

Mosquito prototype.

Again.

Lovely.

What's missing, for readers of a certain age.

A few pints in the afternoon and we headed to the National Army Museum via the Chelsea Pensioners hospital we managed a quick look round before the lecture. Andrew Roberts was there to talk about his new book on Napoleon's Marshals and it was one of the most enjoyable hours I have spent in a long time. Graham had organised it some time ago and took the opportunity to get me the book and I got it signed by the author before leaving.

It has been several years since I visited the NAM and I found it as disappointing this time as last. Granted we did explore only one level as we did not have time to see anymore. Hundreds of years of the British army squeezed into a mish mash of portraits chronologically challenged. Examples of upcoming events contain; Indian Drumming Workshop for the rhythms of India, Make a Sketchbook, Diya (?) Painting Workshop etc. Interesting enough there was a piece in the Spectator about the IWM (that's the Imperial War Museum to you dear reader) and its decline. Someone decided they need more yoof, exhibits people actually want to see are then removed and the emphasis switched to modern attitudes, they the yoof are still not interested and the people who were interested now no longer visit, result, more decline. My son tells me the other once great museums in London are following the same route.


 So there we are, sorry no battling for now but I may manage to try out another Italian Wars scenario before I see Matt next week.

This seems to belie the fact you never see me and Batman in the same room, heard of photoshop?


 

14 comments:

  1. Perhaps no gaming but interesting wanderings, nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the pics from your visit George. Such a shame to read about the decline of these most important museums. My grandfather would be rolling in his grave. Good boyhood memories of visiting the IWM and others. So sad.

    That bunker is a nifty piece of kit. In Bolt Action, bunkers are dead stubborn to get rid of. I think being an objective might work better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I first saw the IWM On the way to Pompey to join up, it was incredible, not any more. They are not easy in CoC either.

      Delete
  3. Sounds a perfect weekend to me George. Glad you and Bruce had a fab time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really interesting to follow your jaunts, though sorry your gaming was fruitless. Better luck with the coming games!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks David, things should be settling down now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A grand trip there George that more than makes up for the game famine? A finely finished bunker too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A super visit down south, some super photos, a real shame that museums are changing to displays that just have no interest to anyone, very sad. Your bunker looks a great little model, nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Donnie, it’s the feminisation of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We had a very similar Sunday afternoon. I had a fascinating 2 hour guided tour round the Royal Hospital - first time I'd been through the gates - followed by the Roberts talk. He's not my favourite historian but I'll give the book a try. I totally agree on the NAM. The whole "Theme" approach is idiotic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pity we didn’t meet, also glad you concur on the state of the museum. I read Roberts’ book on Waterloo, bought ‘Napoleon the Great’ but never read it, can’t find it now. I will have an open mind on this new, enormous tome.

      Delete