Monday 8 February 2016

Carolingians

I have painted this unit in record time which is unusual in that they are cavalry, lovely on the table but a chore to paint as it always feels like the horses are simply an add on, something which you cannot avoid, which you can't of course but you know what I mean. I have seen some beautiful horses on wargame tables, I keep mine simple, the odd black horse with the rest being Bays with black legs, manes and tails, I also give every horse a bit of white. Perhaps one day I shall attempt a white (grey) horse, although I have managed Strawberry Roan before.


 As usual with the Dark Ages if you get interested and start looking for information you find there isn't a lot and espeically not what we wargamers require. I believe my son's Franks are around 900AD therefore some of the figures are classic Carolingian, with that faux-Roman look and their unique headgear while others are more 'modern' with a look that becomes synonymous with the Normans. It is a nice mix.


I have another twelve figures standing by, but I have a large map project to complete so they will not be completed as quick as these guys. I cannot deliver them until next Sunday when they will be required on the field of battle so the basing will have to wait.

1 comment:

  1. Love those cavalry George! Your lad ought to be well pleased.
    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete