Thursday 19 January 2017

Anglevari, Auxilium Palatinum

That's my third battle formation ready for the new Romans, I am getting on a lot faster than I thought, which means I am a fast painter or don't have much to do of an evening, or I am using my time constructively during the winter period, I'm going for the latter. This leaves me only sixteen skirmishers on the tray which I suspect will be complete by the end of tonight and ready for varnishing and basing. I do have an order sitting at Footsore for my Foederati infantry and last night I put a second order in to get some officers and my Noble cavalry, I am hoping the former turn up before the weekend.



The reason for the two quick orders is that I have realised I don't need to wait until I have amassed the full 3000+ points I would like before fielding them, you know I have wargamers OCD and won't use substitutes unless I have to, so I realised that I should paint up 2,000 to use at the club, then extend to 2,500 for the gaming weekends, then the rest so I can choose different troop types and also have the army cover two lists, Late and Patrician Roman. So in order to get on I needed some cavalry, hence the second order, I also happen to think that those two lists should be one, but I need to do a lot more research, if only for my own benefit to understand the armies better.

I have a big game coming up on Saturday against my sons Carolingians, having pulled a victory from the jaws of defeat the last time we met I want to do better, I also want to go back to a 'vanilla' Romano-British army as I have a couple of ideas up my sleeve I want to try out.

Its suddenly dawned on me that I did not show you my second battle formation, I posted it on a couple of FB groups and obviously it then slipped my mind, so here better late than never are the Lanciarii Gallicani Honoriani. Legio Comitatensis.




4 comments:


  1. They look great George. Looking forward to playing them !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super, can't beat a fine looking Roman army (except if I'm in command of course :~) )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks everyone for the comments, I am really enjoying painting this army. I must however stop at this one, even I know enough is enough, or is it?

    ReplyDelete