Wednesday 4 September 2019

Go East Young(ish) Man

Not a bad morning, not raining for a change albeit the clouds are pretty grey. Poured down last night on the way to the club and dark as well, as much as I like heat I do like it to be dark when it's supposed to be so no car washing or gardening etc. on light nights.

I digress, another round of Chain of Command on the Eastern Front, a leisurely combat again more for learning rules etc. than trying for an outright win, which is just as well because by the time we got sorted out it was 2000 hrs before a shot was fired. In future a lot of the faffing about at the beginning can be done before we arrive. The Russians were trying to delay the German advance, again I took infantry rather than panzergrenadiers and threw caution to the wind by taking in support an infantry gun and SdKfz 7/1 Quad AA halftrack and no tank. Simon took time deliberating between a KV or a 57mm A/T gun and MMG, thankfully he came down on the choice without the tank, although all my squads had one Panzerfaust 30 and the platoon had a Panzerschrek so I was not completely without anti-tank capability.

The terrain was fairly open with clumps of corn and a couple of woods giving some cover, very different from a Normandy battlefield. I brought on a squad in the middle and started them off to take the nearby wood, the Soviets countered by putting a squad in a cornfield, I met this with my infantry gun and started shelling the Reds, my rolling was very good and although I did not manage a lot of shock I did get kills, I also managed to wound the Junior Leader and put him out of action for the turn. Simon now brought on his 57mm A/T gun and another squad on my right, now was the moment I had been waiting for, my halftrack appeared and Simon's face went white, OK, an exaggeration but you get the idea. The quad autocannons opened up and dealt out several kills to the newly arrived squad, I also backed this up with an infantry squad and they too dealt death to the Ruskies, another Junior Leader took a hit.


 The wounded Junior Leaders meant the Russian command and control hit rock bottom and Simon had to bring on his only Senior Leader and this meant anything else had to make a die roll before turning up, this, allied to some bad command rolls really left his men floundering. I was not going to fulfill my scenario requirements because we simply did not have enough time however I was a lot more pleased with my choices and the way the game went for me than the last game where I never really got off the ground, the rolls were reversed this time.




I have put up the white flag and will start collecting Russians once my latest SYW battalions are complete, I might even get a tank between them, I am looking at 1944/45. The Russians kept their A/T rifles in use right up until the end of the war and after, I wanted at least one for a support team, the one I liked was the plastic Bolt Action figures but I did not want the rest of the troops from the box. Knowing that people usually had to buy extra boxes to complete armies I asked online and two gentlemen replied and have sent me a few rifles so that I can have my supports and am not restricted to just one either. Many thanks Paul and Michael. I have done the same in the past with decals and figures so perhaps no good deed goes without some reward, gotta love wargamers.

Commission from a new client arrived yesterday, a book on Australian squadrons in Europe in WWII, just three maps but hopefully a good start. Some War and Conquest gaming coming up on Sunday, Patrician Romans vs Normans and Seleucids vs Spartans, challenging games, especially the latter. The weekend after will be two days of Chain of Command with maybe the start of a campaign on the second day. Right, back to the drawing board.

17 comments:

  1. Looks superb - especially those Russians.
    I haven't even tried Chain of Command yet, but your posts make it sound more and more interesting.
    (I might have another map request for you soon).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simon has done a great job on those figures. It is very much its own game, I gave up on it years ago but have come back and am enjoying it now, command and control is a big component and mastering that is a must. I have only scratched the surface.

      Delete
  2. Well on the road to victory there George. Quad 20mm on a flat bed is a nasty wee beast, very versatile, though a bit vulnerable to enemy fire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Russians on the back foot this time, I also just want to get some of my vehicles which are rusting back at base on the table. Not sure how you would treat shooting at it, hit the vehicle or fire at the gun, either way as you say, vulnerable hence it was hidden behind the wood :)

      Delete
  3. Looks like good fun! That quad AA tho ... fragile but wow can it deal out the pain. Looking forward to seeing more CoC reports matey :o)
    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also looking forward to using my command 251 with 3.7cm PaK and of course the Stummel, look forward to more halftracks.

      Delete
  4. Great looking models! The quad is especially nice. You are getting in a lot of CoC of late. Hope it continues! Your posts are motivating me to get CoC back onto the gaming table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got a bit to go yet before I settle in John, looking forward to my son coming over for the weekend.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Not giving up David, just a detour, anyway the grenadiers are coming along fine.

      Delete
  6. I agree with David, the CofC sounds very tricksy, do you think is based on reality?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a WWII game rather than a game based on WWII, which will make sense if you have played CoC or Bolt Action. I don't think it is tricksy, the mechanics, like any game, just take time to sink in. As to the SYW, I still have to wonder whether I should sink a vast amount of treasure into two armies which might see the table once or twice a year, having enough now for small games. It is now about once every two years for my ACW troops.

      Delete
    2. Its a perfectly valid question on the 7YW figures, I gave up on 25/28mm armies many, many years ago because of the cost. My 7YW French army is quite large but is 15mm, however when I built it there were 5 other 7YW armies in our club. I now have to play with myself, whitish coats v other coloured coats all from the same French army to make a fight of it, I can't face the thought of painting another army. They have been out of the drawer twice in the last 10 years. I still agree with David but I would not do it myself.

      I went down the skirmish route years ago and don't regret it one bit, but it depends how you like to play your games.
      You seem to enjoy large scale actions, so the army route may be good for you?

      Delete
    3. I don't mind skirmish type games and play several at the club, but here at Casa Anderson I prefer large games if I can, but it is once in a blue moon sadly. I shall probably continue over time with the SYW and build them up but I have an overwhelming urge to get Russians and they will work for Bolt Action and Chain of Command. I cannot see me ever stopping but I do have to use my head these days.

      Delete
  7. Great stuff George! I really like how the officer is on that hexagon base, very easy to locate (I'll assume that is the officer 😃)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ivor, yes my WWII commanders are on hexagons, a tip picked up from Matt over at Wargames Table. I see Bill Burr was in Liverpool earlier this year, sorry I missed that.

      Delete