Tuesday 24 October 2017

Freeman's Farm, Tricorne

I took a break from mapping yesterday afternoon to pop down to Kevin's for another game of Tricorne, it meant I had to do 'overtime' later last night on mapsbut needs must. The Scenario this time was Freeman's Farm, according to a report on Boardgame Geek it is hard for the American's to win, I think the guy was right.

Overtime: Gulf of Tonkin Incident

I forgot my iPad so don't have any photos, but the gist is both sides have a good mix of regulars and militia, the British however are already deployed, as are the Americans, but they also have a reserve on their left which is a way off. I decided to make a flank attack on the Yankee right which looked weak with my Hessians (I believe there is a contretemps about whether Germans troops were there or not) while the rest of the line merely sat and blasted away. I actually did very well on my left until I ran out of 'attack left' cards and had a handful of 'attack right' instead. Keven sent his centre in in a large attack on mine but it came to naught as he just missed destroying several units, my counterfire in the next turn hurled the Yanks back. I eventually had no other option but to advance my right, I had some luck as my best troops were on this flank and I soon managed to claim my seven victory flags for a win.


We intend to fight a more complex game next time with a lot of terrain and a more diverse mix of troops. Again the luck of the draw controls what happens to a large extent, I had a really good flank attack which simply ground to a halt while Kevin could never manage to spare commands to bring up his reserves. Having said that it is a very fast game once you get the hang of things and nowhere near as complex as it at first looks.

I have completed the last of my son's Carolingian cavalry, the bases have been left to him so they fit in with the rest of the army, I have also finished a Bishop character for use as an intervention point or maybe he is a character, some armies have such religious leaders. There is still an infantry unit to do but I am handing them back as I am preparing the ground for my own new army.


I have managed to do a small amount of research on the Seleucid army and am trying to get my head round all the troop types and their unpronounceable names, although the fabled Anderson Mapping Fortune still has a small way to go to rid myself of my Chinese debt I am getting very close to buying at least one unit to start. I have two more small projects to do and am trying to contain myself until these are finished.


7 comments:

  1. Looking forward to your Successor project, always been tempted myself, but the lure of Rome was always too great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have two Roman armies so my Roman itch has been scratched, I have seen several lovely pike armies and having looked at Aventine I realise I actually need them :)

      Delete
    2. Fatal looking at the Aventine site, although I have resisted. Early Byzantines are up next after the Successors

      Delete
    3. He tells me next year for the Byzantines, no, no, no. So 2019 or so for the 3rdC Romans, again no, no, no! I get the wee sojers in a divorce right?

      Delete
    4. Of course you do and remember, one can never have too many Romans :~)

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear your comments re. Tricorne - I did fear that it would not get any more straightforward with successive plays, so sounds like you've got the hang of it.

    Not sure I'll try it with Freeman's Farm/Saratoga though. We've played it to death in miniature...(well I should say we are evens on wins and losses...so we don't want to tip the balance of fate)

    Also looking at your mapping service with great interest. I'm getting some work published so might drop you a line if the budget will bear it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tricorne plays really fast, this was our third game and we shot through it. I still look on my cartography as a hobby but it is well past that stage.

      Delete