Wednesday 14 July 2021

Down Mexico Way

 Back into the old routine, Tuesday night and back to the club, it was supposed to be Bolt Action but we had a no show and with some advance warning I went for Deadman's Hand as new club member Jimi had just bought the rules and some figures.

I have far too many terrain pieces for DMH and have mothballed half of them, I would prefer just to sell them but can't muster the enthusiasm, maybe a job for when I retire. Anyway, I set up a small street and we each picked our 'gang', Jimi took Lawmen, Simon Cowboys and I went for my usual Mexicans, these are a bit like my Franks, I just know they will make me proud some day, the Franks at least have turned their reputation around, as for 'El Aranya' and his mob, not yet, but I digress.

We simply went for a last man standing game and we got points for however many guys we sent to Boot Hill. I was nearer to the Lawmen so drifted towards them while leaving a couple of guys in an alley to keep an eye on the Cowboys who had crossed to my side of the street and were moving towards me. Jimi split into two groups, one came for me and one went for the Cowboys. As the first shots rang out I realised The Spider had not turned up with his best men as bullets went wild and hit nothing, however I got most of my men into the bank and behind it ready to pounce on a few Lawmen who had taken an aggressive move towards me.


The quiet streets of Carefree

 My planned assault on the Lawmen fell apart as shot after shot missed spectacularly, only Miguel the sniper was managing to hit anything but only with wounds, no killing shots. The Law hit back and Fat Pedro who I had been lining up to give a shotgun blast at the Gringos hit the floor of the bank as bullets shattered the windows. Nearby my two Vaqueros in the alley behind a fence traded shots with the Cowboys, wounded they held on and gave me hope for some points, sadly it was not to be and they too bit the dust. Having narrowly failed to bring down a bunch of Cowboys I did have some close range success against the Lawmen and got two of them. Time was up and Simon narrowly claimed victory by one point. My shooting had been dire and only offset by the same kind of results coming from the Lawmen, in fact no one had much dice luck in this game but my muchachos really were bad, they still remain in the bad books.

The Spider comes to town



 Next week it is Black Seas and my alter ego 'The Sea Wolf' will be taking to the high seas again to wreak havoc on the French and Spanish and hopefully to gain the admiration and rewards from a grateful country.

If and when I get around to playing the Gembloux Gap campaign with my early war stuff I would need two culverts, you can buy them online but I wasn't keen on the look of them so I decided to make my own, how difficult could it be. I cut some foam for the walls and painted them grey while also sticking some sand to them, I had planned to drybrush these when dry but they turned out just fine so I left them. I then built up the bases with tiling grout leaving a flat channel in the middle, I glued sand all over and painted with brown paint, added static grass and large tufts along with some gloss varnish in the centre for water. I was more than happy with my efforts.


 I have one more terrain itch to scratch and that is a downed aircraft, I have avoided this for a long time but with nothing left on the tray I may not be able to stop myself.

12 comments:

  1. Old West gunfights. Now that is a genre I have not played in decades. I wonder how that would play remotely? Fine looking culvert work, partner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. Can't beat a good shoot out, unless you bring a certain bunch of Mexicans of course.

      Delete
  2. Hope half "The Sea Wolf"s crew don't test Positive just before the battle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One can't beat a good ole shoot out but they always play better with multiple players rather than one to one.
    Neat looking culverts you have produced too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. William's favourite game when he can get into GHQ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got to love cowboy movies and games, might dig out Rio Bravo this weekend.

      Delete
  5. That game looks fab mate! Never wargamed with cowboys but it does look fun.
    Lovely culverts too 😎
    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you Michal. Beautiful figures on your own blog.

      Delete