Thursday 22 December 2022

The Last Post 2022

 

We have had our Christmas game and that just about signals the end of my wargaming for the year. A very large Muskets and Tomahawks game was arranged by Rob and Ed, there were a further fourteen of us playing. We all had a group of figures, Indians, British, French, Sweepings of the Gutter and I am sure one other criminal element which escapes me for the moment, I had a bunch of Indians, lovely figures and well painted.




Our hero far right.

There were 'treasure' points spread throughout the battlefield and these could garner treasure (points), an enemy or some other diabolical entity dreamt up by Rob, the winner would be the person with the most points. I set off in tandem with Dan who also had Indians and decided to move on Stuart who unluckily happened to be deployed between us. My first treasure was a heap of rather disgusting pelts worth very little. Dan and I eventually got close enough to Stuart's men to surround and attack him, he managed to survive and then fled while we stayed put confused. Dan now turned his attention to some Scots plunging through the woods nearby while I continued to harass the French survivors, we had a frightful melee which left one Frenchie and two Indians standing. I had intended to move on nearby Julian and his cutthroats but not with two men.

Before the game we had our annual meeting and I asked for 28mm hedges, so I shall get in touch with Andy at The Last Valley and hopefully have some in the New Year, it also seemed like a good idea to try and attract some younger members and it was generally agreed to be a good thing, although we did manage to get some older new members who have benefited the club. The Cumbrian Chef, Julian, brought his usual gift of mince pies, a few which made themselves to Casa Anderson for the Memsahib and Rob presented me with a lovely painted French staff officer for my birthday whom I will find time to base over the festive season.

I have a busy time now until I pack away my festive face on the 2nd January for another year, our first club night will be the 3rd so I will have to look at getting back on the hobby horse. My plans for 2023 are not complicated, I shall continue to add to my Italian Wars project and build an Imperial/Spanish army to oppose my French. I had hoped to have the French complete this year but now find I need at least another two cavalry units and a figure for King Francis before I can move on. I have all the figures already to build a large Imperial Landsknecht pike block and populate a small camp (the tents are coming from Slovakia). I also have some Early War Germans on the way as I felt I needed another MMG team and a few extra Landser, I am also looking at a few more vehicles simply because I like painting them, building them is just a necessity. I also have to look at field works for the Italian Wars, especially gun emplacements.

The suits at the LMF have handed in the finances for 2022 and I have spent way too much throughout the year, and coming from someone who is not averse to spending money on himself it was a shock. I have therefore decided on a freeze until all the above is completed before loosening the purse strings again. The files have been taken to the vault and marked "My Eyes Only" and the key disposed of.


 Looking backwards now and the year saw me have a nice holiday in Sicily early on, after which came my retirement and the closure of the Post Office at the end of August. After 23 years I parted with Post Office Limited (very limited) owing me £6, they have now paid up and I have called off Lawyers4U. I started the Italian Wars Project and have enjoyed every minute of it and am looking forward to getting the Imperial army on to the table. I also managed to get quite a bit of gaming in in different periods and made an effort to get my troops on the table both at the club and at home, a big thanks to all my opponents who made it possible.

Next year I hope to have another push at playing more games. I have started a Chain of Command campaign which is off to a promising start, despite having had to give up ground, I have been asked to host the next Napoleonic game as Rob cannot get into the Gin Pit in Grange and I am hoping to get back to the ACW in February with a return to Chancellorsville.

I shall now hang up my keyboard and wish all my readers a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

16 comments:

  1. A very a full year there George, Merry Christmas and here's to another full New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Seasons greetings to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. George, you have had a very productive and momentous year. I see a few young faces at your FIW club game. That must be good to see.

    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan, apart from me I can see one other :)

      Delete
  4. Best Wishes for Christmas and New Year George and family! Look forward to seeing more of your splendid figures and games soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks David and you and Phil's continued support is appreciated.

      Delete
  5. The Bugler on the right was clearly one of those always at the front of the queue for 9 O'Clockers?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a good Christmas George……hope you have a good Christmas break 👍

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very busy year all round George. Have a great Xmas and New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good year indeed Ray. Best wishes to you and yours mate.

      Delete