Wednesday 8 March 2023

Italian Wars Edition

 Diving back into the Italian Wars although I had to cancel today's game with Julian as something came up, missus still cannot drive so I am a chauffeur as well as dogsbody for now. We were on the plains of Northern Italy last night at the club, I had volunteered to put on a game so that Stuart could try out the period and the rules (Furioso).

I can split my French forces roughly down the middle to give both sides enough troops for a decent little club game. I took some time to explain the mechanics to Stuart and then we kicked off, I made a mental note to be gentle. This was upset by my Swiss going Furioso after the pre-battle events, you can easily do without these but it is hard as they give an excellent bit of flavour to the game and who knows, you might benefit in the end, I didn't as my Swiss trundled off across my battleline upsetting my carefully laid plan as my Landsknechts looked on in disgust.

The 'Rebels' led by the Admiral.
 
My troops advance.

Although this held up the rest of my infantry I swept forward with my cavalry expecting to win on the flanks, at least on my right. The left flank got in first and right away things went wrong, my die rolling was dire and although we both lost a heavy cavalry unit I also quickly lost my Gendarmes. My gunners and arquebusiers stood by while all this was happening and did not fire a shot. I managed to roll two Hazards during the game (four ones in one throw), the first did not matter but the second had my Shot troops withdraw, they obviously saw the way things were unfolding and didn't like it, I just screamed at them.

My Swiss in the distance, ignoring my shouts.

 

Captain of the King's guard less than enthusiastic.

On the right my mounted crossbows started to hit the enemy Gendarmes in the hope this would weaken them when they clashed with my guys. Despite this my Gendarmes were pushed back and lost a base inflicting nothing on the enemy, even when I charged in my heavy cavalry to help Stuart managed to send them packing. I was not chuffed with the troops. I did manage to stabilise this fight but I did not get the quick victory I was looking for as the Gendarmes made a meal of the melee and the heavy cavalry recovered from their failed attack.

My Landsknechts about to be pulverised.

Just as things were looking at their worst my Swiss hit the enemy Landsknechts, a stunning victory for them as they destroyed their traditional foes, nearby my Landsknechts hit Stuart's Swiss and won the first round, maybe I could grab a draw from this debacle. It was not to be, in the second round of melee I lost my Landsknechts to those ferocious Swiss and that was it as the clock was against me.

So my winning streak is well and truly over, I was badly cut up as I introduced the game, just like the last time against the other Stewart. No matter it was a good night and I took my pathetic die rolls on the chin, only twice did I roll above one hit I think, despite however many dice went into the tray. 

I promised a while ago that I would do a photoshoot of the whole French army once I had got it finished, so here it is, although I still have to add the French king. I really want Francis in armour and to look impressive, TAG do a figure but not in armour, so I am sitting on the fence for the moment having three generals already. As you know I have already started the Imperials and it will eventually be the same size as the French so a long way to go yet but I am not in a hurry.






I have finished the maps for Helion's German Peasants War and they are with the author for final approval. Even with the little I do know I cannot help but feel I wouldn't like to be a Peasant commander against the Swabian League aristocracy. Looking back with hindsight they don't seem to have much of a chance of success, they do manage to take several cities but are completely outclassed in open battle. Nonetheless I shall get the book as I am intrigued now, also the author Douglas Miller kindly sent me his Battle of Frankenhausen book for the price of the postage. Steel Fist of course are now doing a Peasants War range of figures.

Despite my attempts not to spend any money I have had to buy some Steel Fist figures I missed off the last order to complete my Landsknecht pike block, and to make it worthwhile I also ordered a couple of artillery pieces. I decided not to hold on any longer to my Foundry vouchers and got two units of Gendarmes from them (12 figures), so all in all a good start to the new army and a small lead pile to work through.

The middle ranks added to the new pike block.

17 comments:

  1. Excellent looking game with beautiful minis sir!
    Best regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michal, it is a lovely period.

      Delete
    2. Oh. Yes! Colorful off course :-)
      Have a lot of Landsknechts for painting.

      Delete
    3. I have three more Landsknecht pike blocks to do for the Imperials, the rest will be Spanish, then Italian states.

      Delete
  2. Firstly, be positive, you came second after all. A beautiful army on display too. Well done Starboard Lookout!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David, but I think I will need a bigger table.

      Delete
  3. Very colourful army George …I will look for the dice on eBay 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn’t understand it Matt having taken along one of my favourite sets. I think my German WWII dice will make it first.

      Delete
  4. Terrific seeing your handsome armies on the field of battle. Very rewarding when you have painted enough to field two armies. You made it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. I love big armies like this arrayed in battle, that’s wargaming for me.

      Delete
  5. A very attractive and splendid collection there George. Technically as they were your troops you came first and second🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, I now have to remember who won and who lost for the next game.

      Delete
  6. Very impressive army. It is a test of character to play a game as you outlined. I agree with Matt about some new dice. A trip to the vice is in order for your old set. Bringing the Army again to battle should improve their performance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, but these dice are from 2014 and belong to my Romano-British and are well tested, Tuesday was just a glitch although I will have to look for a set for the army. Superstitious moi?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely looking game

    ReplyDelete
  9. You didn't have a lot of luck in the game did you? The troops looked pretty cool though George.

    ReplyDelete