Thursday 28 March 2024

Swiss Cheese and Other Stuff

 As you know it has been some time since I have played a game of Italian Wars but I have been giving a bit of thought to the almost unbeatable Swiss. In Furioso it is very difficult to beat these mercenaries, so much so that it can unbalance a game, so I decided to look into things rather than simply take it "that the Swiss are the best infantry in Europe". Their reputation is warranted for their superb victories against the luckless Charles the Bold, but should it carry on for the next forty or fifty years?

For the Italian Wars we kick of with Cerignola 1503, the Swiss attack with their usual disregard for what else was happening, they did not wait for the French rearguard, but were unable to break the enemy front and harrassed by arquebusiers and light cavalry were driven back with heavy casualties. Next up is Agnadello 1509, although a French victory against 'B' team Venice the Swiss did not cover themselves in glory as they failed to get to grips with the enemy due to the terrain. Novara 1513, just like the old days, the Swiss heavily defeat a French army fighting on their own behalf with the Duchy of Milan.

Two years later at Marignano 1515, on the second day after some success the night before the Swiss made a determined attack on the French, cut to pieces by artillery and flung back by Landsknechts the Swiss managed several other assaults but had to withdraw in the end. Now we come to Biccoca 1522, usually described as the nail in the coffin of Swiss hegemony, a self confident Swiss contingent came on in the same old way to be met with a hail of cannon and gunfire from behind fieldworks, to be eventually pushed back by the hated Landsknechts, their casualties being horrendous. After this we have Pavia 1525, where the Swiss contingent of the French army is thoroughly trounced in a stand up fight against the Imperials. Some kudos was regained at Ceresole 1544 as they took part in the French victory but this was in conjunction with the French infantry and it had been a hard fight against the Imperials.

So, what do we have, one complete victory at Novara, a lacklustre performance at Agnadello, Marignano, Bicocca and Pavia are defeats two of them heavy and a combined victory at Ceresole. Granted they were never hesitant at throwing themselves at the enemy but this tactic began to fail in the face of artillery, guns and fieldworks along with modern tactics evolved by the Spanish. In light of this I am going to reduce the effectivness of the Swiss in Furioso and drop them to a combat factor of 4 from 5, this leaves them with an edge but one which can be blunted, and more realistic.

It was ACW at the club this week, Fran had set up the battle of Wilson's Creek from the Black Powder scenario book, I took the Union centre on Bloody Hill and saw no reason to hazard the end result by unhistorically attacking the Confederates, Ed on the right was going to do the same while Ian on the left did have an opportunity to attack if Franz Sigel's flank march turned up in the right place. The Rebs on the other hand had no leeway and had to attack.

The battle begins.

The Union right.
 
My boys on Bloody Hill.

The Rebs close in.

The Federal left.

As the gray masses approached the heights volleys were traded and the enemy lines shuddered, it did seem that the Federals were going to be overwhelmed and I thought about moving my two reserve regiments to the flanks in case Ed or Ian required help. For a time it looked like the Union were going to beat off the enemy attacks, Sigel had turned up albeit not in the best place but very soon the flank attack combined with some bad luck for the Rebs ensured that the Union left would hold. Ed was now being heavily pressured on my right and was pulling back, my boys also began to suffer and although fighting bravely simply could not hold against superior numbers. It was about this time that Ian's aggressive moves went wrong and his original brigade now broke as did all the Union forces on the hill, only the flanking brigade was left. It had been so close but in the end the Rebs won, as they had done back in 1861.

For the first time in a while I managed some painting and completed a set of Looters and one of Villagers from Warlord Games as scatter pieces for the Italian Wars, it has taken me a while but I got there in the end. I have just received some Early War Germans from Crusader, a squad of infantry and a couple of 5cm mortars just to beef up my forces for the upcoming Gembloux Gap scenario which I hope to start once the dust has settled from the building works. That is all I am planning for now and have still to make my mind up as to my way forward on the Italian Wars armies.



Preparations are now being made for my take over of the old shop as work nears completion, at least on the inside. I am going to stain my work desk to a clour more suited for the new room, not something I will enjoy no doubt as I detest any kind of DIY, but it will save me a nice bit of dosh. I got a new paint holder for all my GW contrast paints, I sprayed it black as well as my Vallejo rack and they do look nice. Book cases are on the way and shelving for the troops will be ordered after Easter.

 

 I am a cantankerous old git when it comes to appreciating historical movies or series and whine about every wrong piece of armour or where the movie people deviate from my historical take on things as I flaunt my knowledge to anyone who will listen. No more, I have learned my lesson. With nothing to do this afternoon I sat and watched Paul Woodadge of WW2TV interviewing Stephen Rosenbaum, the visual effects supervisor on the recent "Masters of the Air" series and I was humbled. The detailed knowledge and hard work of Rosenbaum and his crew and their efforts to make the action and more as real as possible is a tour de force and a very exciting watch, your jaw will drop. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl2EYqcFXsE&list=PLDG3XyxGI5lDOO3mMgk4SAy31XjqUxqey.

16 comments:

  1. Nice additions to the IW Collection there! I do like the look of the little ACW figures too. Nice to see the WWR approaching completion. Time for a new project in celebration! Vikings perhaps?😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The figures were Warlords Epic range and do look good en masse. Room is almost there, mostly nightly jobs left. If I could be sure of like minded players I would be tempted by those lovely Vikings.

      Delete
  2. Grand progress on all fronts again there George.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree about the Swiss... I think there's a brief point where they undoubtedly were pretty unstoppable, but weapons and tactics were evolving so fast in that period and their standard approach became obsolete pretty quickly. Good at PR though, hence keeping their reputation!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this applies to many ‘elite’ formations as time and circumstance takes its toll.

      Delete
  4. Your game room is coming along splendidly!

    As for Swiss, they are not unbeatable under Impetvs. They are tough and with up to three stands can make for a very long fight to take them down. Best tactic is to flank them and attack. I find them having little difference to Landsknechts who are equally tough to take down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am beginning to be impatient waiting to inhabit my new space. Like many older rule sets Furioso really needs updating to iron out and collect all the FAQ’s. I had Impetus years ago but never played it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking Looters and a great looking ACW game too. The room seems to he coming along well too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray, hoping to start moving in next week.

      Delete
  7. That room will be the premier gaming venue in the North! I hope you have many happy hours scattering your enemies before you! 😂

    ReplyDelete
  8. A nice looking game and excellent new toys… I do like the looters.
    Interesting to see that the Swiss were not as invincible as some would have us believe… Style over Content possibly…
    I think they were also quite conservative…not giving up the use of pike and armour until quite late in the 17th century.
    They are however still very pretty 😁

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their reputation preceded them and put their enemies on the back foot right away, much like the Mongols and many others Aly. Of course even wargamers shudder when told “they are Swiss”. And as you say, they do look good.

      Delete
  9. Hi George - I can empathize with you getting cantankerous with those instances of historical inaccuracy or surely this proved impractical in the field - I get the same feeling when modifying a sprue of ECW Musketeers where 100 percent of them are produced with musket rests !!! Which irks with the fact that by the ECW, muskets were getting lighter & by 1643 I believe Parliament stopped ordering muskets with musket rests altogether. To my mind once the fighting started, non-essential or awkward equipment would have been dropped, no doubt only retained for garrison or sentry duties. Fortunately there are a few ECW soldier manufacturers like The Assault Group who agree with me and gone restless ( pun intended Lol ) with their Civil War musketeers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all have a drum to beat John but forge ahead nonetheless in this great hobby, knife at the ready (see what I did (there).

      Delete