Friday 26 May 2017

Bank Holiday Blitzkrieg

This Thursday I finished another of my little jobs which I have dreamt up as need to do but don't actually need to do to pass the time since completing the Patricians, and deciding not to collect another army or start another period, at least for this year. It involved giving all my WWII troops and vehicles a coat of clear matt varnish, they have been varnished but this stuff (Tamiya) turns the slight sheen to a lovely matt.

I also do not have much on map wise either at the moment and as it is a bank holiday weekend and it is impossible to use the roads I will be sitting put in the shade for the weekend. I have therefore decided to actually start the solo WWII campaign which has been eating away at me for some time. I am using the Too Fat Lardies campaign booklet "Operation Martlett" so that if it is a success and I enjoy it then I can move on to "The Scottish Corridor" which slots in with the former. I also want to see how the Bolt Action rules fair under the scenarios which I have to admit seem much more realistic than those in the Warlord books which are more gamey.

The first game which I have set up for over the weekend is a British probe into the outskirts of the village of Fontenoy, my main interest in this is that the British approach is over some very open terrain against a dug in defence, I asked my friend Matt to choose the German support troops and I will probably call on him again as the campaign progresses unless I can find some poor sod to actually command the Germans at some point.

I set the table up tonight and look forward to testing things out over the coming weekend.

Looking towards the British lines.
Fonteny crossroads and the main German defence line.
 

8 comments:

  1. Looks like a great weekend ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to break off for the odd, cold, Nanny State beer in the garden if the weather continues to be fine of course.

      Delete
  2. very nicely set up table, but maybe you just need to give in and play CoC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not going to happen John. I see you are in the Dawghouse over on TMP, the editor seems to have managed to insult all wargamers with his recent comments.

      Delete
    2. I almost feel like getting on a plane and making my way over to your neck of the woods with the CoC rulebook just to show you it is not that bad.

      Yes I told the editor he was acting like a small spoiled child throwing a tantrum...........you saw the result.

      Delete
    3. Save your money John, and the file is in the cake.

      Delete
  3. Look forward to seeing this develop over the weekend, nice looking table.

    ReplyDelete