Monday 24 June 2019

Contrast Paints and more Waterloo

Friday was taken up with my usual day in the PO and then a torturous climb to the top of Arnside Knot on a beautiful summers evening, being shown up by the rest of the group some of whom were the other side of 80 and looked it! Nevertheless I managed to shrug off the idea I might try and do more exercise in order to get fitter. Saturday we entertained No.2 son and family and cooked a three course Vietnamese dinner, delicious. So Sunday in order to recuperate we did nothing so I took up the paint brushes and set to.

I managed to complete all the eight horses for the 4th Horse/7th Dragoon Guards and get the riders at least half way to completion. I used the Blood Angels Red on the Dragoons coats, the paint does what it says on the tin, and very nicely too, I was very pleased at the result.

The paint was rather on the thin side and it needs a good shake, I hate those pots by the way, I believe you could thicken it with some medium if you use such, I have some matt medium but the paint was fine for what I intended as it was. It will not cover a paint already on the model, so if you intend to splash it all over as I invariably do when doing a base coat then you will have to repair with white or use a normal colour for leather straps etc. If you are already a master painter you will not need to have recourse to brushing up stuff, but I am not.




Am I impressed, yes, they work for what I want and although I have white and red covered I shall be getting a blue and green as well for my SYW figures. I have seen horses done with the brown shades and they looked absolutely fine, so I may give this a try at some point although I am more than happy with my black undercoat and drybrushing technique. A welcome addition to the hobby paintbox.

What about Waterloo you ask, well I booked a tour with the Cultural Experience this morning for next June for myself and good mate Billy Stephen, it was now or never. We cover Brussels, Quatre Bras, Ligny and Waterloo itself, the tour guide is Major General Ashley Truluck, the last time I was at Waterloo it was horizontal rain and I was not in a good humour, marching out of one of the restaurants in high dudgeon and nearly killing myself climbing the Lion Mound in the storm. This time it will be different.

8 comments:

  1. Don't look at all bad that George, especially as red is always a bugga at times, although Vallejo shades I use are OK by and large.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I normally use Vallejo Red then wash, but with this it does it with one stroke. I just used the Snakebite leather, gorgeous effect. Got to watch for pooling but I am sold.

      Delete
  2. The red looks excellent George.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Ray, had to be careful with the Snakebite Leather re pooling but I'll learn.

      Delete
  3. As Phil says, red is a B*gger! I use Foundry red and still have the old GW red ink but this new line seems to give the same result in one application judging from your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having done some more research it would seem some colours are better than others, just like other paints. The darker colours are easier to work with, some of the lighter ones people say are more wash/glaze like. I only want the darker colours anyway so no problem there for me.

      Delete
  4. Agree with both Phil and David, red is definitely one of those frustrating colors, but that contrast looks really good. I've got some on the way myself so we'll see how I make out too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like both the colours I have used so far, big challenge will be the white as I never seem to get the wash right or not to my satisfaction anyway.

      Delete