Thursday 26 September 2019

Stable doors

I was recently asked for some before and after photos of some terrain, I just happened to finish some terrain today which I got earlier in the week from Charlie Foxtrot Models, one of the models I have always admired from Colin are the stables, a very simple yet superbly modeled piece of terrain.



The build was very simple, you just have to remember to line up the doors with the hinges but once this sinks in it is easy. I used Charlie Foxtrot paper tiles for the roof as these always enhance a build no matter what it is. I also liked the simple whitewash coat shown on the original, so I sprayed the whole thing with GW Grey Seer and then, aiming the can towards the top of the building GW Corax White, yes they cost more but I find them far better than the usual cheaper can from Halfords, for this subtle job at least, the roof was a light grey mixed from white and black. It only then remains to weather the building, the bottom was stippled with a beige camo colour and the top and roof with Olive Drab and hey presto job done. Well it will be once I spread a bit of 'hay' around the doorway, I thought I had some doormat fields but I couldn't find any on looking so someday soon.




The stone walls were not difficult to put together either. I painted them with Red Leather which is a nice terracotta colour, I had admired the grouting on the images on the CF website and asked Colin how he did them, he had used a commercial modelling product for just such a job but couldn't remember anything else about it, he hinted that filler might do the job, or I think he did. Anyway I took some filler on my finger and pressed it along the walls, I think it worked a treat, you decide. The bases were finished in my usual way with Flat Earth, drybrushed with Dry Sand, tufts and flowers then added scenic grass.




So there you have it, nearly forgot, although Colin does corner pieces and I have some which are next up, I also needed the walls to fit at angles, so in order to do this I cut out little squares at the end of the wall base so that they did not leave a gap when put at an angle or butted together.



12 comments:

  1. Both pieces look great but I REALLY like the look of your walls. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan, walls turned out fine, a little break now I think.

      Delete
  2. Splendid work there George, 1:1 scale walls next perhaps ;~)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, no, my days of even attempting DIY are over.

      Delete
  3. Superb stables George! Glad the sprays worked out well. GW tho ... the fabled map fortune knows no limits :o)
    Walls are very good too. Used to be able to get model mates brick filler jollop but alas no more. Colin's filler trick does the job nicely.
    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt, I have to admit Army Painter sprays are also fine, but I do like the light GW grey.

      Delete
  4. The white woodwork on the stables has worked a treat and the roof tiles are excellent. I've been using Warbases shingles and I don't think they look as good as these.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very happy with the stables and the fact the spray did not cover the etched lines. I use both Colin's and Warbases shingles, both are fine.

      Delete
  5. Cracking job George! MDF can be tricky to paint but you've done fantastic work 😃

    ReplyDelete
  6. The stables turned out well. MDF does not do brickwork as convincingly as resin in my view, but you made a good fist of the walls.

    ReplyDelete