Tuesday 27 October 2020

Busy Week

Had a bit of spare time last weekend and managed to get quite a bit done after a busy week, the rain is back along with the cold so I banished myself to the study, popping out occassionally to offer help just to keep in with the Memsahib and quite happy to be told no. First up was the Flak 37 from Rubicon I had already built it so it was time to paint it, I had seen one with an unpainted red primed shield and it looked good, but in the end I went for a simple Dunkelgelb base and some green squigles, I add some kill rings and kill markings which came with the model so job done. I also got to work on the crew and they were very easy, civilian dress apart from the Luftwaffe officer in charge, I also gave them all Volksturm armbands. Many of the crews mentioned in the Berlin book are Hitler Youth but you can't get them as figures, not as far as I know anyway.
I also painted up the resin ruined Opel Blitz, not the best resin model I have ever seen but it is a wreck after all. I painted this in the normal three tone late war colours and fished out some truck markings I had lying around. Lastly I moved on the Sarissa European Tram, in Berlin these were filled with rubble and turned into considerable roadblocks, I had intended to build mine as per the instructions but the cardboard sides simply did not fit, I had to cut pieces off to get them on the frame, I checked and double checked, but I could not see where I had went wrong. At this point I liked the look of what I had so I did not affix the roof. I wasn't going to fill the entire model with rubble so merely spread bits of rock, gravel, bricks and the odd shard of MDF until I was satisfied, if I say so myself I liked the effect. I did the same thing on the bases to be used with the tram, truck and 88, I sprayed them all black and then gave them a lighter dusting of grey, again I was very pleased with the outcome, I mentioned before I was unsure whether to go grey or sandstone, but I am very happy with grey.
I have also built and based the Rubicon telegraph poles and lamposts, an easy half hour, they also give you signposts to put on the telegraph poles, German in design, and also a couple of posts for them, but if you do this you will have to make new bases or take one or two from the telegraphs or lights, I already have German signposts so didn't bother with these. I also found it strange they did not do some decals for them considering Rubicon's attention to details.
Oh, and my City Ruins mat arrived, I went for grey and it looks good, some of the rubble is heroic in scale but overall it will do nicely as a base for Berlin or Budapest.

Let me stick the knife in right at the start for the new Netflix TV series 'Barbarians', I watched the trailers and it is based around the disaster in the Teutoberger Forest when three Roman Legions were wiped out. First up was the hiring of the same make up artist from Braveheart whose use of blue facepaint on medieval Scots is legendary, and secondly the use of at least three blonde, screeching, size 6 models who make short work of veteran Roman soldiers. Roman bad, Barbarian good. I am losing myself in the Roman world at the moment and painting to the ever excellent 'I Claudius', this will be at least the third time I have watched the whole series, many of the women in this tale are powerful, intelligent and ambitious without ever donning some ludicrous leather corselet, showing their tonsils and pretending to slice through a lorica segmentata. I can recommend author Ben Kane's Eagle trilogy which covers this and it is excellent.

My city ruins are on the way from Poland and the desk is clear, so all I need is some spray paint and off we go. I am nearing the end of another War and Conquest game between my son (Romano-British) and club member Matt (Western Patrician Romans)so a report on that coming next.

14 comments:

  1. The lamps etc. are going to be ace on the table - that kind of characterful scatter terrain can really make the look of a game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, I find it really enhances a game playing on good terrain, seen some lovely set ups out there.

      Delete
  2. Fine additions to the Berlin/Budapest project there George. Look forward to seeing your stuff from Poland as I have my eye on the small factory they make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Might be here tomorrow Phil, I also got the Gothic Church to add some flavour.

      Delete
  3. Very nice work on your models, George. Flak gun looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good show there George! For myself I'd go sandstone for the bases to lift the pieces but if your mat is grey...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David, to be honest grey was easier in the long run. Should get a start on my buildings by the weekend.

      Delete
  5. I like lightly-clad female warriors as much as the next man, but I watched the trailer for Barbarians and that was enough to put me off. Your comments add to my assessment from that 'snippet'. You cannot see I Cladius too many times, can you? Brilliant script and acting. Brian Blessed will forever be Augustus in my mind!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John Hurt as Caligula stands out for me, evil incarnate. Although I believe he is being 'revised' these days just like Nero. It never ceases to amaze me how TV and film people think they can improve on great stories or history. I liked your review of Bruno Mugnai's new book.

      Delete
    2. Wasn't he brilliant?! So many great scenes, but the inter-play between he and Livia, brilliant scripting and acting. I read or heard somewhere that he was not going to be in it, but then saw the quality of the rest of the cast and so agreed (or something like that). Speaking of the 'rest' of the cast, not a weak in link amongst them, 'beginning' with Derek Jacobi. It helps when it is all based on excellent books and they do not butcher said tomes. It had a strong and long lasting impact for me, especially when first viewed with my parents at the 'impressionable' age of 13–14!
      Thank you for your kind comment about the review. Pleased that it was of interest.
      Regards, James

      Delete
    3. I drew the maps and have worked with Bruno on several of his books.

      Delete
  6. The lamp posts will be a great addition to your table, I wonder how you will get on with the telegraph poles, I continually knock over trees if they are on the edge of the board so have never considered doing poles, but I'm sure they will look good.
    I agree totally with you about size 6 blondes in leather, shouldn't be allowed;) but seriously, as this is how many people learn about history they really ought to make a better attempt to get it right.
    I see that Nelson is to be cancelled for his 200 year old views of Johnny Foreigner not chiming with todays revisionism of whats acceptable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already use 4Ground telegraph poles for Normandy however this is a nice bundle from Rubicon and has both lights and poles. Yep they can occasionally get knocked over, a bit like my pike phalanxes.
      If they can topple Abe Lincoln statues in the States what hope has Horatio got I wonder. I put my White Ensign up in the PO on Trafalgar day but got no response, I was looking for a fight.

      Delete