Sunday 28 November 2021

Winter Blues

 I am looking out the window on a bitterly cold day at the snow which is getting heavier and heavier and covering the cars and now beginning to gather on the ground, I cannot see into the distance at all as it is just a light grey murk. 


 I had a weekend of wargaming planned with friend Matt who was coming up from Wells in cider country, Covid put a stop to that as he had been told to isolate, I have no clue at all as to the rules these days. I do know that the number of people whom I know to have had Covid has risen sharply in the past few months, however most have either suffered little or in one case had very bad flue symptoms, so I can only presume the vaccines help, I have now had three.

Perhaps with the snow and the storm on Friday night Matt dodged a bullet, my wife got caught in the storm due to being at a show in Kendal and twice trees across the road caused them to detour, a twenty minute journey turned into an hour and a half.

Cowboys at the club this week, I was stuck for a game and Jimi and Ed could not play theirs so asked if I could bring along Dead Man's Hand, which was fine as Duncan made up a fourth. It was a simple 'throw down' affair so Duncan's Lawmen in alliance with my Mexicans fought over the town against Jimi's Desperado's and Ed's Cowboys. I continue to take the Mexicans despite their terrible win or rather loss ratio under their less than fearful leader 'El Arana' (the Spider). In typical western style we came at each other from opposite ends of the town, there was no subtlety here, Ed took a more defensive posture while Jimi came straight at me flinging lead while I did the same, Duncan moved along the back alleys to engage Ed. For once my caballeros did what it said on the tin, Jimi's gang were whittled down and forced to retreat, slowly on the other side of Main Street the same was happening to Ed, as the clock struck Jimi and Ed surrendered. A nice way to pass a few hours.



 I have bit the bullet and ordered up more SYW troops and decided to stop at 12 infantry battalions for each side (French and British) and once Front Rank are back a couple of cavalry squadrons. In 28mm this is enough for my 9x5 table and Honours of War. I have finished my Byzantine Thematic/Tagmatic army list for War and Conquest but have still not put the seal of approval on the project.

I got an early Christmas present from the Memsahib the other day, a splendid carry bag for my Blood Bowl stuff, I also got two lap top cases for some of my other rules which I normally have sorted in carrier bags so that I can just grab them on the way out of the door and everything I need, well almost everything, is in the one place. For some unknown reason this caused great merriment with my significant other "You are going to have a bag for every rule set, you are mad, and daft" was the gist of the argument.



 As I sit watching the snow destroy the infrastructure of Main Street and contemplate having a look at a map project I was keeping until tomorrow I wondered how many maps I have actually drawn this year. The number comes in at almost 400 in 45 publications with one more month to go. This year the 'man of the match' is the period of warfare covering 1600-1800 mainly in Europe, although I have once again covered nearly all the big wargame periods in most corners of the world.

This coming week Ed asked me to bring along my Dark Age forces, so an introduction game on Tuesday.

10 comments:

  1. I like the snow, hopefully some here soon. It is brilliant that the Memsahib has bought you special bags for each of your rulesets. That is a lot of maps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woke to six inches of snow here yesterday AM, several trees down in the vicinity too, snowing again has I write. You can't beat an old West outing for impromptu games, always good fun. Good news on the SYW additions, a good year for map fund is also good to hear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thermals need to be looked out for tomorrow in the PO. The LMF is indeed well in the black for now Phil, but I have my eye on several goodies.

      Delete
  3. That's a lot of maps George! I'm glad you are plodding on with the SYW, as you know I am too, though only French as I cannot face lace at present! Nice bit of snow you're having too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lot of maps David, more than I thought. I did not want to face lace either but after my last game of Honours of War got me back in the mood I just have to get on with it. I am also cursed with always getting both sides.

      Delete
    2. It is not a curse though, but a safety valve against an opponent selling his army...

      Delete
  4. What are your impressions of Honours of War? My sense of the rules "out of the book" were that they seemed a little derivative. Am I overlooking something?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can only say I very much enjoy the game they give, I do not know very much about the SYW and got there by a roundabout route so are they representative of the period, no idea. People who do know the period seem to be pleased by them so I will defer to them. Not very helpful but I do intend to get around to learning, just have not managed it yet as I am still stuck just outside Moscow about this time back in '41.

    ReplyDelete