Thursday 2 December 2021

Numbers Game

 I mentioned in the last post some numbers about maps and books, this week the views on here crept past 500,000, I was quite chuffed hitting that figure. I mainly keep this going for my own good as I like writing and wargaming and this combines the two, my thanks to those of you who do pop by and I hope you enjoy my musings and the odd aside at modern life.


 This week I really could have called off the club night, it was cold, dark and raining cats and dogs when I left the house, I was also on my own as both Duncan and Simon were not requiring a lift this week. The lads from Grange were also unlikely to be there as Grange had been damaged by a storm and most of it was still without electricity three days later, a bit like how the UK will be in another five years or so. I had arranged a game with Ed so could not let the man down at the last moment.

Ed took the Romano-British forces as they do have a slight edge on the Saxons, I of course took my default army, Saxon Heptarchy. Both sides set up in two lines facing each other and I intended to sweep the British left flank away with the help of my archers while advancing to take the two hills to the my front, I managed the latter due to winning the initiative for most of the first turns, the former was beyond my light cavalry. Everything therefore depended on the main clash of both lines, because of the hills I managed to win most of the melees, although it was still a hard slog. The cavalry got tied up in a long fight with the enemy horsemen and although they eventually broke their sacrifice had not been in vain and this kept the British cavalry away from my flank. On the opposite flank my Ceorls ran from the British Pedyts but managed to make a spectacular recovery and turn the tables on the enemy, in the centre the Romano-British Dux with his Comitatus had cut through my centre but it was too late. I could have turned the battle into a simple loss for Ed rather than a complete loss by throwing my Franks uphill into his victorious Comitatus, but with the time running out and no need to lose any more men I held back, my men jeering and gesticulating against the frustrated British and their Dux.

Saxons on the left, Romano-British on the right.

The Saxons take the high ground.


The Comitatus about to break the Saxon centre.

 A good little game and a nice introduction for Ed to War and Conquest, hopefully he will try again soon.

I do not have my SYW order yet from Crusader so painted up a Referee (which you don't actually need) for Blood Bowl and tidied up and labelled some of my terrain boxes, I need to get some more Really Useful's for the latest recruits to the French and British.

I received a nice surprise from Royal Mail yesterday, usually a visit from them means something is wrong but this time I was presented with a nice food hamper, seemingly I had performed above and beyond the call of duty over the last few weeks, no, no idea here either. It also transpired that the messenger wanted to look and chat about model soldiers which was nice, he had seen the boys on the table once before. I now have a few people who pop in now and again to see what is on offer.


 In order to cheer me up after the latest tripe from what passes as a government I popped up to Duncan's for a chat and a cuppa. One of his mates was doing some kind of mechanical stuff with a jeep while Duncan was working on the fuel supply for a ZIL truck. I politely declined his offer to help with the ZIL having an artists hands and no idea what went where or why. The Sdkfz 222 replica should be back either today or by the weekend, so as soon as it is I will pop up for a look at it. Duncan has just come back from Bovington where he has been measuring up their Panzer IV for a new project to build a replica, now that would be sweet.




6 comments: