Friday 1 May 2015

Goodbye, thanks for all the fun

I have someone coming today to take away my Wars of the Roses army, this will be the fifth army I have sold in less than a year, in my whole wargames career spanning almost fifty years I have now sold eight armies, all from the middle ages. The only one I did not regret selling was a Norman army which was useless, they didn't like me and I didn't like them.

Lord Hastings.

The only reason I have a large Wars of the Roses army is that when I came down here to live among the Auld Enemy I got the chance of a pile of metal fairly cheaply and as I liked the period I took the plunge. I used Poleaxed 2, a good set of rules written for the period but it was hard to convince people that the rules were exciting, basically once you had set up and given orders the battle was literally handed over to the troops on the table. What influenced things thereafter was the loss of commanders and disarray, this part was exciting but it was not enough. The thing which always annoyed me was 'disarray' it was an important part of the rules but unrealistic at times, for instance, why would a battle of several contingents walk forward against an enemy only a couple of bowshots away and not be able to keep a straight line? I could have used them with a different set of rules, but the basing was wrong and I didn't have the time or will to rebase them.

Despite the sales I still have a lot of wargame armies and stuff left and along with the new Romano-British and Early Saxons intend to add Mid-Imperial Romans, and probably Muskets & Tomahawks somewhere along the line in the next couple of years, and maybe someone to fight against the Romans.

I have started the Harry Sidebottom novel "Warrior of Rome" and am enjoying it, after all those years of non fiction (comics aside) I deserve some light entertainment. Oh, and the "Guardians of the Galaxy" is doing my head in, you need a degree in quantum physics to work out what is going on.

Well on the way with the new map project sneak peak below.

The defence of Hue, 1972



No comments:

Post a Comment