Tuesday 12 June 2018

The First of Many?


I finished basing up Griffin's 33rd Regiment of Foot last night and here they are. I am happy with them for my first attempt, I do need to get better at the lace of which there is a lot on British uniforms, there can be just as much on some of the foreigners but you can pick and choose to make it easier. I bought a couple of new brushes, Winsor and Newton Series 7 Miniatures, eye wateringly expensive with tax and postage, but they do last a long time. I  have several 0 brushes but find the points split and they don't carry enough paint, hence hard to get the slim lace lines correct, I now only use sizes 1 and 2.

You will notice that the officer is carrying his musket 'at the shoulder' and not advancing like the troops, it was either that or a pointing figure, not sure why they haven't produced one to go along with the advancing figures, maybe they know something I don't about the period, which, at this stage would be easy. I notice that the drummers in most armies are far more flamboyant than the rank and file, which must have marked them out as priority targets.


I have primed and started on their French counterparts, a battalion of the Aquitaine Regiment, very simple white/grey uniform with blue cuffs and waistcoat, no fancy lace here, but there are quite a few buttons. The flags are from GMB and the finials from Flags of War, both these products are superb, I went for GMB simply because they have a very large range of SYW flags as opposed to FoW who only do the Prussians according to their site. The figures by the way are Front Rank.

6 comments:

  1. Those look brilliant George! And the finials on the flags are a great detail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Off to a flying start there George, well done. We are having a SYW game next week, we will try and keep your inspiration going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will look forward to that for inspiration Phil.

      Delete
  3. Absolutely spiffing George!
    From the very little I know, the drummers were behind the main line, so all that extra "bling" didn't make them too tempting as targets.
    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ta Matt. Gordon Corrigan writes drummer boys were deliberately shot down to prevent orders being given, poor sods. Many officers joined the Army in their early teens.

      Delete