Wednesday 20 November 2019

Lady in Green

I thought I would take a break from WWII last night so jumped for a game of Dead Man's Hand, I was offered a place in a Western Desert Battlegroup game which used Andy's vast collection of 20mm but declined. It may come as a shock but I think I am all painted out, I have completed what I wanted and although a couple of things remain they are not yet required, so I am going to take it easy now until the new year, still paint but slower.


Anyway back to last nights game, there were only two of us so within five minutes we came up with the 'Bounty Hunters', a dangerous female killer with a large price on her head was hiding in the town of Carefree and two different groups had decided to find and bring her in, alive and not dead or the bounty was nullified. To search a building at least three men had to enter and a die roll was made, whoever having initiative for that turn rolling first, a 1 or 2 on a D10 signaled success. The posse then had to get the prisoner off the opposite end of the table from the building she was found in.




As the game started four of the seven buildings were found to be empty, soon only two were left, Simon's men found Bella in the Aces High Saloon, a girl of low repute obviously as well as murderous tendencies. I had set up some riflemen on the roof of the Wells Fargo office and another near Halloran's Place while the rest of my gunfighters closed on the saloon, the rest of Simon's men now made a run to meet up with the guys holding Bella as they made for the stables and then hopefully a quick run across town to escape. Although my rifles swept the main street and hit quite a few times they could never get enough wounds to actually kill anyone, Simon was having our usual trouble with shotguns in that despite being fired at close range they never seem to hit anyone, this continued until Fat Pedro bit the dust and dropped his useless weapon.


Time was running out and Bella had manged to be dragged to the Livery while a large gunfight took place at close range just outside, when the dust settled Simon had lost three men and I had lost two. There was still all to play for and at least two more turns were needed to give a clear winner however the clock had struck 10 and we reluctantly packed up.

Although dreamt up on the hoof the game had turned out to be very good and exciting, it definitely needs to be played again. Elsewhere we had the usual Age of Sigmar along with Saga, Bloodbowl and the very nice Western Desert game.



I completed my latest Jump Off Points for Chain of Command a few days back, two German and one Russian, this now gives me three for each force, British, German and Russian. The figure sets are from Rubicon while the two dogs were extras in a Warlord pack, the bulldog is a bit big but hey no point sitting in a drawer. I mentioned before the maps which came in the Rubicon kit, as there were two I used the second on top of some spare fuel tanks for the Russian Marshals. I cannot shake the feeling that the Germans hovering over the map look more like little dolls than wargame figures, Ken without Barbie, I think it is down to the way the hands have been modeled.





The PAK 43 is on the tray and I have a forgotten Russian MMG in the drawer, two more vehicles are on the way but as I said above I am taking it easy with these for now and not rushing.

15 comments:

  1. Excellent report.
    I laughed at 'Fat Pedro' who used to be a Wild West figure in the Tabletop Games 25mm range.
    Of course now, they wouldn't be allowed to use that 'Fat Pedro' desription, and he'd have to be called 'Peter from Mexico with dietary challenges - which aren't his fault, and who isn't really an illegal immigrant...'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Darren. Got it in one, who would ever have thought that calling a figure 'Fat Pedro' would be pushing boundaries.

      Delete
    2. And I laughed at your PC translation! So true. I think the world has gone mad.

      Delete
  2. Western gunfight is a genre I have not had on the table in more than a decade. Good to see you having a good game of it. Western desert game looks superb as do your latest a Jump Off Points.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DMH, is a very easy, cinematic type game and great fun. Now that I have all the toys I really need to start playing.

      Delete
  3. Fatism, one of the new deadly sins?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great stuff, you can't beat a good 'ole western gunfight game from time to time.

    With regard to being PC, would the same apply to Western films? "I call that bold talk for a visually and dietary challenged man" doesn't quite have the same ring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It also gives the old "This town ain't big enough for the two of us" new meaning.

      Delete
  5. Great stuff George! Always fun to get an old west scenario on the tabletop. I totally see what you're saying about that figure looking like a doll, the arms are positioned just like one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ivor, I just cannot shake the doll thing when I look at these two, even the General with the bent arm just doesn't look right, they will however do for a JOP.

      Delete
  6. Can't beat a western gunfight and this looked to be a good one.

    I got alot of criticism 2 days ago from someone for posting a picture of my western town on a forum. The reason was "that it would not amuse native American's to be reminded of the genocide committed against them" there weren't any native American figures on the table, as I don't have any!
    I do worry about where we are going with this PC thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DMH is a great little game. Don't get me started on First Nations etc. As for the world, I just want to live for another twelve years so that I can put two fingers up to the doomsayers. Mind you like goalposts the twelve years has been shifting for the past thirty.......damn there I go.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful and atmospheric Dead Man's Hand table...and these command vignettes are awesome!!

    ReplyDelete