Tuesday 1 June 2021

The real Elkhorn Tavern

 Readers will remember that earlier this year I ran a campaign based around Pea Ridge/Elkhorn Tavern and there was indeed a battle around the Tavern, Fran, one of the players has got interested in the ACW and we arranged to meet up when the plague had retreated, well that was Sunday. I thought it would be a good idea to fight the real Elkhorn Tavern battle as he already knew most of the background and as it is not a huge battle it would be a good introduction to Johnny Reb II, the rules which I have used for around thirty years.

On setting up the terrain I did not set up the 'hollers' as this would have meant another almost complete layer of Geo-Hex and at the end of the day the Rebs would advance away from them so I cheated, I managed the rest of the battlefield fine. I have fought this battle a few times, mostly as the Rebs I think so on setting up I realised I had given myself quite a task as the Union commander, my forces were already stretched and badly outnumbered, although my weaponry and morale in places were better than the enemy my regiments were in the main smaller and reinforcements were going to have to get a move on to get to the 'front'. My plan was to hold around the Tavern while pulling my right back, the arriving troops would be placed to bolster both flanks.

The Rebs came on at a fast rate and I dithered whether to leave the Marines and Battery E in the woods or bring them into the clear ground, I eventually moved them back and I think this was a mistake, however, left where they were they were in danger of being outflanked, I set the 15th Kentucky and the 12th Illinois cavalry to bolster the left, the 76th New York I sent to the right along with Battery B 1st New York, I was hoping to anchor my right on Clemon's Farm. The Rebs opened up with their artillery and the 54th Massachusetts took the first casualties of the game, after this their infantry surged forward.

Union reinforcements along the Telegraph Road.

Confederate line.

Federals await onslaught.

 


My opening volleys were pretty ineffectual and this helped the Rebs to get closer with their smoothbores, the return fire was devastating and my boys began to lose stands. A lot of pressure was now being put on my right as the mass of the Missouri State Guard bore down on the 54th and the 76th's thin line in Clemon's field, I tried to give the Rebs a pause by dismounting the 3rd Indiana cavalry into a skirmish line but it would not hold for long. I tried to get my latest reinforcements the small 3rd West Virginia and the 9th Michigan Battery to race to help but it was beginning to look like too little too late.

Rebs advance.

The Tavern under pressure.

Clemon's Farm about to be overwhelmed.

Desperate fight in the Tavern grounds.

 


 A crises had been reached, I charged the Rebel right with the 12th Illinois and 15th Kentucky and swept away two Confederate regiments but it was a desperate move. The Rebs overwhelmed the defenders at the Tavern and the Marines and 84th were swept away, on my right the 3rd Indiana skirmishers were also swept away in a hail of buck and ball. I felt I was left with no alternative but to retire, so ordered my whole line, or what was left of it, to disengage, in my head I thought I could build another line to the rear just as a couple more extra troops arrived. As the turn ended I looked at the mass of Rebs coming across Clemon's field and decided to keep running, the game was over, a win for Fran.

Federals disengage.

Too little too late.

Skedaddle.

 


 The thought that I could have fought on niggled at me later, but on going back to the table and looking at where we left it I made the correct decision to hand over my sword. A very good game and always a pleasure to play Johnny Reb, Fran is up for a rematch in a couple of weeks and I shall peruse my scenario books to see what I can find. I used my original scenario map and superimposed the troops I used on the top, also of course the regiments are stand ins for the originals and it was easier to identify them this way.

I continue with the French, another tank is nearly ready as is the first batch of supports along with three infantry squads, next on the tray will be the heavy supports, a machine gun and mortars. This will leave one tank and one reserve squad before they are finished, well sort of, they now have a Phase Two, two more squads and two trucks, not needed but wanted.

8 comments:

  1. This is a very handsome game, George, and an equally handsome map. Pea Ridge is an interesting battle that offers up challenges to both players. Pea Ridge has seen the miniatures' table a few times for me but I have refought this battle many times using SPI's old wargame. It is familiar ground to me.

    Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very much a challenging game Jonathan and a good start to normal gaming.

      Delete
  2. Beaten but not bowed, I like that approach and very 'Union' I feel. Grand looking game but not rules I'd even look at myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David. As for the rules, thirty years and still happy with them, not many can say that.

      Delete
  3. Excellent stuff, it has put me in the zone for some ACW action at GHQ tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking game with lovely figures and terrain. Your maps showing the course of the action really help too, thanks.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James, thanks. Good to get back into ACW gaming.

      Delete