Wednesday 20 April 2022

Failure

 Club night and first time back in about four weeks, most of the members were not turning up and I only managed to get a game at the last minute as Stuart volunteered, so we chose Chain of Command as I felt like getting back to WWII for a change.

It was early war Germans vs French, the former were attacking while the latter tried to delay, as it turned out I only got 9 support points which was one more than the French due to the discrepancy between the forces, not a good start for an attacker. Also the French patrol markers start a decent way in while the Germans start right on the opposite edge, this again put me at a disadvantage as I had to get all the way to the other side and capture a Jump Off Point, you can see where this is going.

My useless infantry gun, one good shot all game.

 I took a pre-game barrage, Shabby Nazi Trick, an extra command die and an infantry gun as my supports, Stuart took a 60mm mortar and an anti-tank gun. As the French started the game with one squad and the mortar on the table I took advantage of an excellent roll to bring almost all my troops on leaving one squad in reserve, I thought with the barrage I would get close to the enemy before he could build up a decent defence. The barrage turned out to be a waste of two points as it only stopped one unit arriving and only once. My Fifth Columnist managed to grab a turn for me by stopping a Senior Leader from commanding his men, but thereafter he was ignored, the gun I hear you ask, well the Frogs landed a big puff of smoke right next to it and so I had to wait a bit and move it, plan A had been well and truly sunk.

My hard pressed Schutzen.


 My guys slowly advanced but casualties began to climb, when caught in the open do you go to ground or do you continue to fire while you have a decent amount of men left and hope to cut down the fire coming at you, I went for the latter and threw everything I could at the enemy on my right, but it was slow work as the French squads are very big and I was not actually killing anyone merely putting shock on them and a lot of that was needed.

Stuart's lovely Frenchies.

 As the firefight progressed my officers and NCO's took a pounding and working with only 9 points of Force Morale (I actually got 8 but we added one to make the game last, mmm), I quite quickly lost cohesion and was reduced to one. I think I got Stuart down from twelve to five or six but it was not enough, again the reduction was mainly due to officers falling. So there you have it, a dreadful effort by my boys, Stuart had his moments mid game but as the defender he could afford them better. My barrage and infantry gun were both a complete waste of points.

Chain of Command does not lend itself to pick up games unless you build your own scenario and use higher Force Morale and have more support points, it really does work far better with a mini campaign. Anyway, well done Stuart for the game and a spirited defence.

Well and truly rested I am now chasing my tail, map projects have poured in over the holiday and I got another just as I was closing up tonight, some are needed sooner rather than later so I am busy. I have taken a receipt of several books recently to give myself a grounding in the nitty gritty of the Italian Wars. I have also finished my first pike block and some arquebusiers to defend it, I am now on to a second Swiss block in French service which can be added to the first to give one large block or two smaller ones. I have one more unit of handgunners and six Gendarmes waiting in the wings after this. I am getting quite carried away with this project and am thoroughly enjoying painting the figures, I now have twenty Contrast paints which again I have really enjoyed using.

 



 

Not a bad read but it finishes just as the wars start.

A nice find and beautiful illustrations.

Picks up where the last one ended.

 With my output being quite steady I had to order more RUB's for the upcoming troops, I would be lost without these.


 Right, that is it for now, I must get on and get an hour's painting in before I sit down to read.

8 comments:

  1. No plan survives first contact with the dice gods I find. Your new project is off to a nifty start, I think contrast paints are ideal for painting Landschnekts with all those deep folds and cuts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pike block is coming along nicely. While the popgun may not have had much effect in the game, it looks ace on the table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gun is usually quite deadly and although I thought my combination of supports worked well together it was not to be. Very happy with the start to the new project, ta.

      Delete
  3. A touch of the Menu Wans in the game by the sound of it George?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fighting a lost cause is better than not fighting, I think. Terrific to see your Italian Wars project taking shape. The SoldierShop book is a real treasure. Mallett has several good works on the period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s the taking part Jonathan. Reading Mallets book now while using the other as reference.

      Delete