Thursday 11 August 2022

Good Moaning

 Club night been and gone, now sweltering and hiding from the sun, must look out those melon, pineapple and pau pau seeds I bought forty years ago when warned about the climate getting warmer.

Chain of Command, 13th May, 1940, ten past one, close to the river Meuse, a French force tries to delay the tsumani of field grey heading west, for a few hours at least. I had a normal infantry platoon supported by a Renault R35, 25mm anti-tank gun, an adjutant and some Francs Tireurs to throw a spanner into the German plan. Stuart brought infantry with a SdKfz 222 armoured car, an extra squad and an infantry gun.


The house of contention.

 I deployed quickly enough and took possession of a house on my left and the cornfield on my right, planning to build up a base of fire to which I added my little tank and grenade launcher squad. I had wanted my last squad also on the left but a Shabby Nazi Trick befuddled them and they refused to come on. Stuart also took over a house near the front line on my right and the rest of his men deployed in a wood some distance from their objective. I played my Francs Tireurs who proved utterly useless and whom the Boche simply ignored, I also threw a vast amount of firepower at the squad in the nearby house and again this proved utterly useless, my little tank joining in the farce.



 As we both very slowly collected shock and the odd casualty I tried to withdraw my lead squad in the cornfield but they broke anyway and my morale fell to 8 from 10. Stuart meanwhile with the clock counting down threw caution to the wind and tried to send a squad towards the centre of the small hamlet. The French gleefully cut these men down with no mercy, German morale started to plummet.



The Germans in the wood also began to suffer and another team bolted for the rear, in the dying moments Stuart brought on his armoured car but it hid from the anti-tank gun and sadly achieved nothing. As the Boche morale hit 5 it was obvious the objective was never going to fall into their hands so we called a halt.


 Although I did eventually get my third squad on the table I made a mistake putting it on the left when it would have been far more effective on the right, I made the same mistake with my Senior Leader compounded by the fact I could have sent his mate across to the right instead of simply relying on getting the right command dice. I also committed the cardinal sin of getting fixated on the Germans in the house close to my right. Once again CoC showed the way to play is in the context of a small campaign, one off games are fine for learning the ropes but can at times give a less than exciting game.

Its been nine days now since I ordered up some cavalry and bits and pieces from Casting Room Miniatures and no sign yet of anything on the way, which is unusual in my dealings with Foundry. Anyway not having a reserve of patience last night I ordered up some Steel Fist cavalry, only to notice after paying that they are on holiday and not back until the 14th, aaargh!

No big deal, I have an Italian pike block to finish before looking at cavalry and I still have my granddaughter here until Sunday so allied with the mini heatwave I cannot see me painting much until Monday. I have managed the front ranks of the Italians and have the middle ranks and command on the tray, these are TAG models and nice in their own way, very easy to paint but these seem to be overburdened with armour to me for bog standard infantry. Steel Fist are working on Swiss, they would probably do for the start of the wars but not for the later period, they do look good however and I am sure some placed here and there would not look amiss for the mid period. Although I have Swiss in French service I do intend to do an actual Swiss unit at some point.




 I have nothing to say about entertainment for now, I have had to sit through Spy Kids 2 and 3 with my granddaughter, and yes, the movie was not made for me, but will these kids look back in their dotage and laugh and go all misty eyed when remembering such rubbish. I have just had an attack of this with "The Buccaneers" starring Robert Shaw as reformed pirate Dan Tempest, I loved this and apart from Bill and Ben and Four Feather Falls etc. it was one of my first TV memories. I have just bought the whole series on DVD (well I think so, it may be a 3" floppy) for £4.90 in a moment of weakness and nostalgia. More anon.


16 comments:

  1. Excellent pics - great looking action, and good to see the French out on the table (inevitably taking a battering but winning!).
    Yes, I can never remember a summer like this - no, wait - 1976...ahh clearly global warming (scratch that - climate change) had kicked in then too; we just didn't know. So glad now that we have the advent of expensive PhD recipients to tell us about how dangerous pandemics are, and when not to go outside, how inflation is a new thing that never happened before, and why we shouldn't trust the Soviet bloc duhh ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I have so much stuff I need to get on to the table, and more on the way. Who would have thought no heating and eating insects would turn out to be the way forward...........

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good looking battle George and nice painting. As for entertainment not sure I have come across the buccaneers before but if it works for you 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt, perhaps I shall need those rose tinted glasses to watch The Bucaneers.

      Delete
  4. This was a pleasant surprise to see your French score a victory. Well done! Your Italians Wars project continues to see great progress. You tempt me to get my collection out on table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan, let’s see some pics of your Italian Wars.

      Delete
    2. By the way, great post title. Once I clear the gaming table, I will bring my Italian Wars collection out for a parade.

      Delete
  5. CoC not my choice of rules as you know, nor lists, but nice pictures. Holiday times disrupting many small businesses I guess, almost like Covid...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I await the perfect WWII rule set David, could be a long wait. I tend to forget the rest or at least some of the rest are indeed getting back to some kind of normal.

      Delete
  6. Good to see you taking some of the spring out of Adolf's boys step. Perfect rules, you have more chance if finding El Dorado. Find a set you like and stick with it. It is what I aiming for at the moment. I have some Steel Fist cavalry in the pile you may encourage me to get them done this time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Phil. I have two sets of rules which at 99% satisfaction I consider perfect, Johnny Reb 2 and War and Conquest. I intend to look at Steel Fist for my Imperial Landsknechts when I get to them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to see the Frenchers slowing the advancing Jerries! But yes, CoC only really comes alive in the context of a campaign.
    Yet more splendid IW figures too. Looking forward to seeing your first battle report.
    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt, looking forward to some action myself soon.

      Delete
  9. Hi George, I've been following your blog of late as you seem to have gone into wargaming model soldiers about the same time ( although maybe a little earlier than me ) as I did, as a lad & like you started out with Airfix. I see your even delving into nostalgic tv from those days. Although for me nostalgic tv was The Flashing Blade ( the Chevalier de Recci who I nicknamed the Chevalier de Wretched ) & the siege of Casale also on Network DVD, not to mention The Borderers, a great Border Reiver adventure series set on the Scottish borders of the 16th century - where I see some wargame clubs are refighting Border Reiver raids & skirmishes with some impressive figures. A treasure from those days is Pretenders, you might remember as a rather remarkable childrens TV series broadcast on ITV back in 1972; that was the perfect romp though the Monmouth Rebellion leading upto the Battle of Sedgemoor in 1685 with all those larger than life characters like Joachim the German rebel gunner & the notorious Colonel Kirke of the dreaded Tangier Regiment nicknamed Kirkes Lambs. Again the entire Pretenders TV series is available on DVD.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi John, I was too busy defending the withdrawal of Empire in ‘72 to watch telly, sounds good though.

    ReplyDelete