Wednesday 29 January 2020

Albertines and Edwardians

Club night and one of the coldest I was told, it was a bit parky but slowly getting lighter, I prefer night to be night, 2000hrs lights out. Anyway I travelled light as Rob had agreed to put on a Very British Civil War game and all I needed was a ruler and dice.

Stuart and Rob shocked all by turning up early, and here was me looking forward to getting my feet up for a few minutes after a hard day in the PO. The terrain was set up, we had four players and the scenario was laid out, an Anglican League (Andy) train full of ammunition was making its way across Cumbria, Albertine forces (Simon) low on ammunition and erstwhile allies of the Anglicans wanted a share. The 'bad' guys loyal to the rightful king (Rob and myself) wanted to stop the train.

I had at my disposal a sour German squad loaned by that Mr. Hitler, a boisterous American squad (over here and overpaid) and a bunch of Britain's finest constabulary, all led by a Naval chap of upstanding character, he had two aides, one who would only work with the Germans and one who would only work with the British. I started in the opposite corner from the train with a large professional enemy force to my front, I decided not to engage them and leg it towards the train and help Rob as this was our main objective. I left the Germans cowering behind a wood just to secure my flank, my boys took some hits but managed to get into a decent position to open up on the train. This by the way had broken down and was being hastily repaired by some engineers who were taking a fair bit of casualties.

Splendid looking chap.
The wonderful train.
 Some cavalry turned up, I got the Leven's Hall Hussars which did me no good whatsoever stuck in the corner and they soon fled never to be seen again, a combination of bad dice and casualties. Andy's cavalry had a much better time of it and ran down and over the Manchester Scottish on our left flank. I had been prepared for this and my Yanks opened up on the lancers flank and they too hightailed it from the area. My Peelers were in a good position now to open up on the repair crew, just as I got the last man he flicked a switch (?) and the train began to move. The crises was approaching, Rob had lost most of his men by this time and the train began to build up speed, I heroically flung my men at the thing as it rumbled past, two failed to get a grip, two more fell under the wheels but six stalwarts mounted the engine. Simon had a lot of men lining the track and I thought he too would try and board, so I asked my men to hand me all their grenades with the intention of throwing them into the engine and jumping, they declined. Instead I increased speed hoping to derail the infernal machine on one of the bends. Simon got his main character on board and as Andy's men stood about in awe of his wondrous moustache instead of shooting him as I urged he began to heave ammo crates out the door.

The game begins.
Andy's brave but doomed lancers.
 The train failed to jump the rails so I again asked for the grenades and this time hurled them into the flames and leapt off, Simon got his man off as well as disaster loomed, we all suffered broken legs/arms as a consequence, as to Andy's men in the doomed machine, who knows. Both Simon and I were awarded laurels for our efforts. What about the Germans you ask, well once Simon had moved most of his men towards the centre of the table the Krauts attacked, I had not realised how much firepower they had with their machine pistols otherwise might have used them earlier. They were supposed to act in concert with the useless cavalry but the latter left them high and dry, only their machine guns keeping them safe, they did however take their own sweet time gunning down the opposition who annoyed me by passing every morale test.

My Coppers and Yanks with the BBC turning up for my licence.

There were some lovely pieces on the table, the train, the armoured car (again useless) and a load of wonderful characterful figures. Next week the Sea Wolf is back scouring the Seven Seas bringing fear and death to the enemies of his Britannic Majesty.

Despite my misgivings from last year I am going to Vapnartak, weather permitting, I have a list of things I need and things I want so it is a shopping expedition in the main.

6 comments:

  1. Spiffing report old bean, one can't beat the old VBCW nonsense for a splendidly fun game. A war gamer with a list eh? All is well then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The joys of the madness which is a VBCW game! Quite wonderful. As to the list, I trust it is extensive and even yet being added to with enthusiasm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David, I am at the point where I need to rewrite the list to understand my jottings.

      Delete
  3. VBCW does seem to bring out the best in wargamers. Very good looking table Stuart and Rob are to be commended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole idea is genius and you can let your imagination run wild without danger of 'that guy'. Cheers.

      Delete