Saturday 28 March 2020

Day 3, food holding out, morale good.....

Strange times, trade only just dropping off in the PO then what to do the rest of the day, it didn't even seem like this when stuck on an oil platform for three weeks, of course there were a lot of other people which is the difference.

Anyway, I have ordered up a little industrial bundle from Sarissa and once that comes I shall also build the minehead wheel given to me by the bloke in the village who cuts MDF, I don't really need more buildings but the wheel or whatever it is called is a lovely kit and deserves more than being stuffed in the corner under some books. I also have some barbed wire defences to do. Oh, don't ever buy the big windmill from Sarissa, it does not really fit in a box or a shelf or anywhere and every time you move you catch the sails, nice kit just a dreadful thing to store.

My extra Russians are now done along with a little tarting up of a large barn/store, there is a sniper team in there and the other kneeling guy has a scope on his rifle so a free sniper perhaps.



I have also just received some British and German mortar/artillery figures for the extra crew members required by Chain of Command, I also spotted a nice trio of German Feldgendarmerie which I could not resist, I think these will be based for a Jump Off Point.



I am halfway through my gaggle of civilians, these are very easy to paint and won't take long to complete, they will soon be clogging roads used by invading or liberating forces or simply trying to keep out of the way, fat chance on a 6x4.


 What about actual wargaming, well with so much spare time even if I do the odd job around the place I can still set up a game. To this end I am running two small naval campaigns roping in some of the lads from the club, my son and mate Matt, the first is running along nicely and the second is about to start, I am really enjoying these. I hope to get a couple of battles from the campaigns although these may not necessarily turn up as both sides may want to avoid a fight! I have also just today set up my small Seven Year War forces at last to try out the Honours of War rules from Osprey, it may be tomorrow before I get around to actually throwing a die but it is ready to go.




For the next couple of weeks I think it will be Solo Bolt Action, fighting some scenarios from the campaign books. Although I do have another small scale campaign in my armoury from the American Civil War and a larger one if the lockdown continues.


13 comments:

  1. Looking good George, who makes the civvies? Nice to see your SYW on the table, look forward to reading how the game goes in due course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got a bunch of French from Westwind and three of the men from Brigade Games, the latter do Belgians for WWI but you can choose which figures, I got the three men as they suited I or II. I forgot to put the cavalry out grrr.

      Delete
  2. Excellent stuff.
    A very good chance now to get those old rules out of 'shelf isolation' (wait - a blog post idea!).
    Look forward to the solo bolt action stuff. Not a set I am fond of, but thinking it might be entertaining as a solo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ta, I think a great WWII skirmish set has still to be written but it is that or talk to the missus.

      Delete
    2. I think you're making the right choice sir!
      ...and you're doing it for the peace process LOL

      Delete
  3. Good to see you are remaining busy. Looking forward to your first HoW battle. Be sure to check out the addenda, clarifications, and errata from the honoursofwar.com forum for latest changes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan, got quite a few questions so will read the rules again before the second half tomorrow.

      Delete
  4. Looking forward to a few pics of the 7YW game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I quite enjoyed it despite people looking in the window thinking I am mad no doubt.

      Delete
  5. The food might be holding out but there was scarcely a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc to be had in Sainsbury's yesterday ..... and don't even mention the gin!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only get to drink a couple of times a year now so we have plenty, as long as the sweeties hold out.

      Delete
  6. Lovely to see the SYW armies arrayed for battle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do look good David, I also liked the rules.

      Delete