Sunday 15 March 2020

Quiet Sunday Morning.

A couple of days and I had my new vehicles done and dusted, some transport, the truck for the Russians and the 251/1 to give my Panzergrendiers a complete armoured platoon if needed, one more Opel Blitz at some point and they can also be truck mounted as was more the norm.

The halftrack is an easy build and I decided to use the half open canvas cover this time along with some of my new stowage lines, I also added a spare wheel on one side as it was that or chuck it, foliage finished the model and it is good to go. From mid to late war the grenadiers fought from the vehicles as recommended in several tactical treatises, this aspect is ignored in all wargame rules that I have used, I do not doubt you have to dismount at some point but why do that if you do not have to? I shall have to look at this on the table top. I know the British used such as mere transports, not so sure about how the Americans used them.

The truck was a bit fiddly, for me at least as I seem to suffer from dropsy these days having to scour the area around my desk for various pieces which jump from my fingers, despite this it is a lovely little model. There was a very comprehensive decal sheet with this truck most of which made no sense to me apart from red stars, so I asked on Facebook for explanations, I got some useful and a few less than useful answers. I therefore tried to look into them myself, I managed to identify a few, enough to mark my own truck up, I also noticed that parts were painted black rather than green, so suffering from Wargamers OCD I repainted parts black. I then realised my Anti Aircraft truck was all green, I fought it off for 24 hours then dug it out and painted bits black. I am now back on an even keel.


As usual the Rubicon kit had a lot of extra pieces in case you wanted a GAZ AAA rather than an AA, there was no cab but enough I thought for a nice terrain scatter piece of a wrecked truck. I think it turned out fine, better than binning it.



I also finished my two Waffen-SS LMG's which have sat around patiently waiting for me to complete the vehicles, that should be it now, I have full Infantry, Volksgrenadier and SS platoons, the former and latter can also double as Panzergrenadiers, in support I have some Volksturm squads which include Hitler Jugend. I have a couple of wish lists still for WWII, British Airborne and Hungarians but I am not getting anything else until I get more games in, whether Bolt Action or Chain of Command.

I am still continuing my small war with Pizza Express and have annoyed them no doubt by putting up a couple of photos on their Facebook page which I suspect will be deleted tout suite.

Box art,mmmmmm.
Actual pizza, meh.
Wings of War I think on Tuesday, must get off my backside and sort the planes etc. out.

Oh, for some reason my last post had problems with the photographs, I have no idea why as I did nothing out of the ordinary. You may find some of the above may disappear for a bit while I double check some things, hopefully not but..........

13 comments:

  1. Superb work on those vehicles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, now I have just got to get them on the table :)

      Delete
  2. Great looking figures Georgen. Blogger has been playing up recently, photos vanishing left right and centre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that Ray, hopefully it is fixed now, ta.

      Delete
    2. I haven't been able to even upload any, so I shall be giving the blogging thing a miss until our next game.

      Delete
  3. Your vehicle production line continues turning our machinery marvels. I still do not see many of the photos from your previous post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogger Jonathan, some problems. I still have a couple of machines I would like, a Luchs for a start and maybe some PzIII's when Rubicon release them, sadly not a lot of British stuff I could use.

      Delete
  4. I love your fight with pizza express! I got in a fight with a local pizza delivery company and got a $50 gift certificate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have already had vouchers and the usual corporate excuses, but this recent one is too much.

      Delete
  5. Trucking along nicely there George, neat bit of re-cycling with the excess plastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, too good to waste some of this extra stuff.

      Delete