Tuesday 31 March 2020

Something I like

How did I cope before without all afternoons off, I don't seem to have enough hours in the day.

I just went in and got on with my SYW game, I got through another few moves but felt I had to call a halt and retreat. You see although I have a sign up saying I am closed with the shop front being all glass I cannot hide, so if someone batters into the door and see me they think I should do the decent thing and serve them, despite said sign. So perhaps my solo gaming will have to be done when I am usually closed.

Anyway the upshot of my starter game is that I got most things right but a couple of serious things wrong, well one main mistake, I did not have enough commanders on the table and this would have made a difference to the steadfastness of my men. As for the game itself the British were coming out as the losers and were close to breaking point, their cavalry had been beaten and swept from the field so their left flank was wide open and the 2nd Brigade had obviously got the frights as they refused all orders to advance once the Guards had retreated from Kutzdorf. The French had lost one battalion and although a couple more needed to rally they were winning the firefight.

2nd Brigade not so keen now.
Mercy buckets silver plate.

It is really going wrong for the British, outnumbered and on the back foot.

So there we have it, my first foray into the Seven Years War and it won't be my last, I can see more troops being added now after I finish all my other projects which will take about two to three weeks perhaps. In the meantime I am ordering up officers as I need at least three more for each side at the moment, maybe even four.

The first naval campaign is coming to a close, it has given four of us something to do for about a week I have another just started. I have a small action to fight and then a report to write up so it will keep me going for another day or so. I suddenly realised I needed damage cards for the ships concerned and looked out all my old naval stuff and thankfully found all my old files, but I am having a hard time opening them.



I looked online to see if I could pick up a game to play on the PC, there is only one which caught my eye and I first heard about it way back in the early 90's and for its day was off the charts, Hitlers War in Russia now titled War in the East but the £68 price tag was just too much, still.......

So I have plenty to do in the upcoming weeks, but I do miss sharing everything at the club with social interaction and a bit of a laugh and a chinwag.


16 comments:

  1. Good to see the wee chaps slugging it out across the table, and that you are suitably inspired to progress the SYW project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My enthusiasm has been rekindled, just ordered six new commanders.

      Delete
  2. With Game 1 in the books, what are your first impressions of HoW?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked them, so much that I have ordered new commanders, I got that bit wrong, and once I get my other projects done I shall get back on track, at least another couple of brigades a side.

      Delete
  3. You must be able to get a floppy drive somewhere George?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To much hassle Ray, sorted card for the game, easier.

      Delete
  4. Well done to the French, who would have thought they wound win a firefight. Sounds like the rules worked well for you, pleased you enjoyed it.

    Did you ever read the Charles Grant rules book, I think it was called simply The Wargame but I might be wrong. There was a chapter about campaigning in the 18C and and example of it working, most inspiring. A definite possibility for days of enforced confinement and internet communication, probably quite a bit of work though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have enough on my plate for now John, funnily enough the time is flying by.

      Delete
  5. Excellent game. Those troops look superb.
    I must try those rules out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rules are like restaurants, each to their own but yes, I did like them.

      Delete
  6. I'm really pleased that your project will move forward George!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, once the WWII project is complete I think the SYW will move to the fore again for the summer.

      Delete
  7. The naval campaign has been fantastic!
    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  8. Matrix games are pretty dear. I imagine it's due to a smaller target audience that has to share costs of development. You could try and play the 1993 version, Gary Grisby's War in Russia, though you may need to struggle to get an emulator or something (depends on your system). Abandonware is the term to search for to look up old games that are ignored or orphaned by their creators.
    http://www.homeoftheunderdogs.net/game.php?id=445

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loaned my original War in Russia and never got it back, of course if I spent nearly £70 who would also spend £70 that I know to play against me, anyway the point is moot I can get two SYW battalions for that.
      I did get a copy of 'Lords of Midnight' for old times sake and have yet to play it :)

      Delete