Sunday 29 March 2020

Solo, not Han or Napoleon

Where does the time go, I had a bit of a lie in, made the breakfast then sat sorting the campaigns out, which is proving great fun for me at least, for a couple of hours.

I set up my small Seven Years War forces yesterday for a run through today with the Honours of War rules from Osprey. At 64 pages many of which contain army lists it is way lighter than Black Powder which I also have sitting waiting to try, although I have read through the book I wasn't sure how things would turn out on the table. I am a member of the HoW forum and downloaded a QRS, errata and clarifications before starting a small scenario contained in the rule book, Clash at Kutzdorf. Many people have moaned about the artillery being too effective, I don't know so although you can tone it down I played the rules.




The battle has Blue force (British) being attacked in flank by Red (French) as it sits on a ridge, both are almost equal, the French are supposed to have two light infantry battalions but I don't have any of those so they were instead regulars. I just went along with the sequence of play and checked things as they turned up.



You throw dice for initiative and then the players take turns moving brigades or independent units, the same system is used for firing, once this is complete your men react depending how many casualties they are carrying, five is a rout and lifted off, four a retreat, 3 will affect your shooting, any lower and you are fine. The firing is quite brutal and you either get hardly any casualties or you get too many and you are gone or retire, so far I have had one French infantry battalion and one British cavalry squadron lifted off while a couple of others have retired. You always get one hit on a natural five using an average dice, this is brutal as your five will probably get you three or four hits anyway so that unit is retiring or gone, having said that of the two gone from the field one was from melee and one from shooting over at least half a dozen turns. You can rally these hits off but you have to be out of harms way to do it which with linear tactics is not easy, your commander can also rally off hits but I didn't get the best out of mine as you move them first before the troops so they never seem to be in the right place at the right time, something to learn. I have several questions and need another read through the book as I am only half way through the game and will pick it up again tomorrow afternoon. I enjoyed it.




As to the battle the French cautiously advanced into a firing line while their cavalry went for their British counterparts on the right beyond Kutzdorf. The British infantry too formed a line and their left hand brigade moved off the ridge while the Scots Guards took Kutzdorf, prior to this Regiment Bretagne had fled the field. The 33rd Foot now retired as did the 7th Dragoons from the victorious French horse, to make matters worse French artillery fire meant the Scots had to evacuate Kutzdorf, not everything went right for the French though as a battalion of Grenadiers de France fell back leaving both lines in disarray. More fighting to come.


12 comments:

  1. A splendid start there George, great to see your fledging SYW armies in action. I quite liked the rules when Dave and I played.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look good and the rules are very easy to pick up, no doubt nuanced the more you learn.

      Delete
  2. A great looking game.
    The rules sound quite intuitive. Await further action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, quite enjoying the ease of play for now.

      Delete
  3. Outstanding to see your SYW troops out for a battle! Any questions on HoW should be easily answered on the forum through reading old Q&A or posting a new question. Questions get answered very quickly.

    Good to see that your experience with the rules, thus far, is positive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like them and have asked some questions, mind you now that I have read through the forum some have already been answered. No patience.

      Delete
  4. Honours of War are a half decent set of rules, but Rank & File give a better small game I think. As your collection hopefully grows then transitioning to Black Powder will feel natural I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The collection may indeed now grow at some point, but I will finish what I started for re WWII. With the lock down that may be quicker than I expected.

      Delete
  5. Its sounding like a great game George.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The wee men look very nice on the table and they must be relieved to see daylight after all this time. I played this same scenario with these rules and thought they were quite reasonable although I don't have wide experience of other rule sets.
    As a dedicated solo gamer I've never found big battles exciting enough to persevere with them but I think I've enlisted 2 generals into a play by Whatsapp game which might prove more interesting.

    You mentioned a couple of posts back about a naval campaign you were going to run in the Med with Dreadnoughts, do you think this would translate into Napoleonic Ships and 2 players?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am enjoying the rules and they seem to reflect the period I am told, I am very much new to this and have not yet managed to read up as I am busy with WWII at the moment, but I will. I suppose the campaign could run with any kind of naval forces and yes two players could manage quite easily. Bear in mind the main point is to find the enemy and the victory conditions may not initiate an actual battle. Once these two campaigns are over I may add it to a page on the blog.

      Delete