Monday 28 March 2022

Showdown in the Gin Pit

 Big day yesterday, Napoleonic game in Grange-over-Sands in the Gin Pit under the Keg and Kitchen pub, the weather was gorgeous as it usually is this time of year when you are hiding away in the depths playing with toy soldiers. There were eight of us around the table, me, Fran, Stuart and Rob for the Allies and Stewart, Julian, Paul and Ed for the French, the scenario was built around the fictional aftermath of Waterloo as the French army retreated and found an Allied force blocking the roads to Paris, they had to capture at least one road to continue the withdrawal.

The Allied army was already in position with their cavalry on the right flank where the ground suited them, next along around the Chateau Dobson was the Dutch/Belgian troops under Stuart who had a certain Richard Sharpe ensconced within the walls of the chateau. On the Allied centre left was Fran and then way out on the end of the line were my own Nassau troops with a couple of cavalry squadrons. From our positions we could see French troops opposite Fran and more opposite Rob leaving a rather large gap in the centre covered by a grand battery, it was obvious more French were on the way but where would they strike. Picking up whispers from across the table we deduced that our left flank was where the main effort would come, meanwhile a very large French cavalry and infantry force was opposite the Allied cavalry and from where I stood I could not see Rob lasting very long.

The French under starter's orders.

Scots Greys.

Sharpe (with coat).

Ed's less than enthusiastic troops.

 As the game started the Allied army except those around the chateau moved forward, I moved for a small hamlet to my front to contest the ground when the expected French reserves turned up, Fran made for a hedge line on which to anchor his defence. Wait, what's this, the crunch of boots and beating of drums heralded the arrival of the Imperial Guard (remnants of course), not on our left but on our right putting huge pressure on Rob and Stuart and determined to capture the road near the chateau. ADC's rushed about and Fran and I urged our troops forward intending to defeat Stewart's small French force to our front and then wheel to support our right and perhaps hit the Guard in the flank.

Ooops, the Guard arrive.

My brigade advances.

The defenders around the chateau.

 It took quite a bit of time to get our men into position and Stewart was putting up a spirited defence, over on the right Rob had thrown his cavalry forward against the tidal wave of blue bearing down on him and was surprisingly holding his own, the Allied troops around the chateau could do nothing but await the onslaught. The Brunswicker's in reserve were ordered to make ready to move, this order we later found out was somehow lost as the black uniformed Germans twiddled their thumbs. Fran was loathe to attack the enemy centre covered by the grand battery and concentrated on dispersing Stewart and could catch the guns on the hop, this took a lot of time. Due to command difficulties our main attack was late in coming but when it did it was a stunning success, I managed to get my light cavalry behind the French defences and in a position to frighten the guns, Fran's men made a superhuman effort and swept all before them, except one unit which just refused to budge and gained more time for the French main attack.

The Guard advance.

More Guard.

Julian beautiful brushwork.

 On the right the Allied cavalry had suffered but some still managed to survive and withdraw to reorganise, the French cavalry had been fought to a standstill and made way for the Guard to assault the thin line of defenders on the road. In between the gunfire slurs were heard thrown at Ed as his brigade halted on the river line seemingly held up by one unit of Allied dragoons on the opposite bank, protestations of having completed his orders held no truck with the French commanders. With the Allied reserve still refusing to bolster the weak line of defenders and at one point actually moving away from the fighting it looked like it was all over for the Allies. But no, time and time again the Guard was foiled and thrown back as the outnumbered Dutch and Belgians stood like stone walls in the face of the French tsunami. Rob's remaining cavalry also caused problems with the French not being able to ignore them and pile on even more pressure on Stuart's men. Now even Ed's men moved to join the desperate fighting.
Who wants to be on my side?

Fran and I having at last cleared away the enemy to our front now took on and routed the grand battery and surged forward, tantalising close to the French flank. At last the Brunswickers had deemed it proper to support their fellows on the front line, but it was too late, after hours of desperate combat Stuart's thin line broke and the way to Paris was open, albeit the door was only slightly ajar. With the full weight of Fran and I bearing down on the rear of the French army but still just out of reach several French units made it off the table to grasp victory from the jaws of defeat, the exhausted and wounded debris of the Guard fumed as those men turned out in the main to be Ed's!

What a marathon, my own legs were about to go after just over six hours of gaming, but a great spectacle and a nail biting finish played with a great bunch of guys, all enjoying the sheer brilliance of this hobby. And a big thanks to the organisers for all their efforts.

The first thing I saw apart from the large table on entering the Gin Pit were two units of lovely Italian Wars cavalry, Julian had brought them for my perusal, he is well in front of me as I still only have fifteen pikemen complete. Julian is the Del Boy of our club and has just got a great deal on a plastic Landsknecht starter army which will put him way ahead of me. For £66 he will have artillery, two large pike blocks and some crossbowmen while my troops were £106 for one block with some extras, gluing figures is just not for me no matter how nice they are and I am just set in my ways with metal. 

The Borgia's and Milanese.

 I am having a break from the club for the next few weeks as I will not have the time to turn up, so things will be a bit quiet until normal service resumes I suspect. The Oscars have just finished, not that they have any relevance for me or normal people for that matter but I do urge you to have a look at a great spoof of the show from a wargaming perspective and look in on The Caesars, by Little Wars TV.

Despite myself I bought three more Series 7 brushes and two are crap, they lose the point very quickly and as soon as I used them that single annoying hair stuck out, you know the one where you delicately cut it off and its mate turns up. So Winsor and Newton are dead to me now, I have started using my ABC brushes and they have been great, so much so that knowing the size of my new project I ordered up another couple of sets, I got 14 brushes for the price of one Series 7 and at that price even if I have to throw away a brush after completing a unit, who cares.

That's it for now, be back in a few weeks.

16 comments:

  1. That's a very fine sight! But, six hours gaming? I'd be in intensive care after that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was not constant and I take advantage of the nearest chair these days and half an hour for lunch, might go into training for May.

      Delete
  2. A battle in the Grand Manner and no mistake, six hours though, I am K'od after two😴

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find extra energy if toy soldiers are involved Phil.

      Delete
  3. Holy Moly! This is an impressive Wargaming spectacle. I am surprised this size of battle could be fought to conclusion in six hours.

    Like David and Phil, I reckon I would be exhausted after this effort too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Black Powder rules give a lot of leeway in such big battles. Four to six hours is normal for more than two players here or Grange, but a chair within charge reach helps these days.

      Delete
  4. You had me confused - I presumed this was going to be an account of 'youthful high spirits' in the Wardroom? What a lovely set-up. Makes my 6'x4' Napoleonics look a bit pathetic?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I once got bollocked by a prat for putting one foot in the wardroom door to hand over signals. I had two other such run ins with the same kind of people. Yes the guys put on a good show, always a joy.

      Delete
  5. That is a jolly impressive looking game! Gaming in the grand style indeed. Glad you all had fun.
    Looking forward to seeing your (metal 😂) IW project develop. I look at the figures and am immediately reminded of those days when I coveted a Warhammer Empire army, lol.
    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a big game. The Empire was heavily influenced by the Landsknechts as I recall.

      Delete
  6. Very splendid looking wargame 👍think I might have had a glass or two of gin to keep me going

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were a few pints consumed when the pub opened, due to the dust, smoke and powder.

      Delete
  7. That sounds like an excellent game. Love it when a big multiplayer game like that goes to completion (in my experience they so rarely do!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very enjoyable albeit my flank did not see a lot of fighting. A find balancing act to get a large game finished but Rob usually makes it happen.

      Delete
  8. Cool looking game George, looked a lot of gun. I prefer Proarte brushes nowadays. Roughly £3 a brush, they do the job fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray, yes Proarte are good brushes sure I have a few, ABC are similar, giving up with the pretentious Series 7.

      Delete