Sunday 11 November 2018

Size does matter

I have cleared the decks of quite a few projects that were on my mind, the new Legion for the Patrician Romans, the Companions for the Seleucids, the pillboxes and all the buildings before them and now I have turned back to the Seven Years War. You will remember I got some artillery (Eagle Figures) at FIASCO, the other night I opened the French pack and built the guns, the figures were thinner than Front Rank but would fit, there is not as much detail on them but again they would do, I went for this range due to the number of different gun models they produced.

I looked at them and thought not much work there so I turned to the British pack, lovely guns but the crew were not going to do, they were huge compared to the French, big and bulky they also stood out next to Front Rank. I mulled it over and thought the difference may not be noticed on the tabletop, now this might be the case but I would see it every time I looked at them. I ordered up two new crews from Front Rank along with two mounted officers, they arrived today and are beautiful. I got some officers from Foundry recently and found them to be incompatible with Front Rank also, again they were simply too large, so as much as I like to mix different manufacturers it looks like I will not be doing it for the SYW.

What the............
British to the left French on the right, big difference.
 This weekend I am looking into ordering my first SYW cavalry, it is permissible to have eight figures in a regiment but although this would save me money and painting time twelve men just look much better. You really do not see many units on forums or blogs lined up with eight men, twelve seems normal with many being sixteen or more. I have not made my mind up yet which units they will be, this normally depends on the look of their uniform, mainly the facing colour, their flags and whether they are easy to get. I think these troops along with the guns already on the tray will see me into the New Year.

I finished my pillboxes, these were a last minute buy at FIASCO and will be used sparingly in my Bolt Action games, more talking points than strongpoints. Which is just as well as I have already been told they are British, I thought they were simply generic, no, in fact I did not think about their prominence at all, I do still think they are lovely little kits and you get three for the price.

6 comments:

  1. That is strange really from Eagle. Are the big chaps looking for a new home then?😉

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got the impression they were updated sculpts. They are no good to me if you can use them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is quite a difference, especially for the same company?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not come across such a big problem outside the SYW.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, those chaps appear to have shrunk somewhat. Nice finish on the pill boxes, be they of English design or otherwise, personally I don't care, my Normandy buildings are being deported to the Reich next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't care either they will only turn up now and again. But the size difference in the new larger figures I do care about and know they would bug me every time I looked at them.

      Delete