Thursday 29 August 2019

Much ado about nothing

Not a lot to blab about today, I didn't attend the club this week as I decided to get on with some bits and pieces which had been building up, not so much wargaming but those things which get you nagged at by a certain person. Rob was running a Cruel Seas game and I have to admit although I love the small ships it is not something I would run out to play, so I gave it a miss. I managed the small jobs and banked the brownie points for use later.

I never learn and have jumped into Chain of Command with both feet, luckily I have all the troops I need so it is the peripherals which are costing me, a bit like cream cakes, I don't need the stuff but I want it. So I got some Allied and German dice with pretty symbols for the six to use as command dice to save them getting mixed up with the 'killing' dice, not that I have done this so far but hey they have symbols on them. I actually have a set of 2nd Panzer dice which came all the way from Australia but no, they wouldn't do and no, I cannot explain it.


Next up was Too Fat Lardy markers, I am more than happy with my Patrol markers but not so with my homemade tactical ones, so I ordered them up. It didn't stop there, I needed more Jump Off Points, I have three already but when Stewart comes over I will need to provide three more and as I was impressed with the other Stuart's JOP's when playing Operation Martlett I ordered up some characters from Black Tree Design to make little vignettes. I have now heard that BTD are pretty bad at getting stuff out quickly and by that I mean more than a couple of weeks, we will see. This has also meant throwing more money at Warbases, I only have one 50mm base for the JOP's so need more, no, I won't use the 60mm bases!

I have managed at last to clear the decks and get on to those two SYW battalions which have been sitting in the drawer. I have started with the British Grenadiers, I have also used a Contrast red on the coats, I like it, it is not as bright as Vallejo flat red but it is probably more akin to the brick red of the original coats. I am wondering whether I should shelve the SYW until next year and perhaps get some Russian forces for WWII, my thinking being that although I have enough for a small game of Honours of War I do wonder when I will be able to get it on the table if I don't do it solo. This brings me also to think how many games will I manage if I build them up to Black Powder numbers, have I done the right thing bearing in mind I have two huge ACW armies sitting in boxes who are lucky to come out once a year.



12 comments:

  1. The east will lure you in slowly but surely :~) Understand your dilemma with the SYW, I was tempted to do another big battalion period but I find it difficult to add to First Carlist War collection, beside which it would only duplicate what Dave already has collections for. Instead I am sticking to my main period of interest, WWII and painting up Med forces as you know and adding to my 20mm collection, I already have an arsenal of planes and AFV's in stock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have to make some hard decisions soon Phil. I do think I will now go East it is only a matter of time.

      Delete
  2. George,
    Quite understand your SYW dilemma. It's a real puzzle!
    But, delighted to hear you're going to be heading East. Really looking forward to getting my "Ostfront" project started. Need to get a few items of Normandy scenery finished off first tho. The Charlie Foxtrot tabac is coming on really well, I'm very pleased with it so far.
    As for the markers, tokens, etc, what wargamer wouldn't want all the little bits and pieces?
    TTFN
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only a matter of time Matt, like you it will involve new terrain etc.

      Delete
  3. Each to their own of course, but another WWII theatre strikes me as pointless if it's the same scale and/or ruleset as you already play. Same game, different toys. Pointless. Stick with the SYW and expand it steadily, much better than more of the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the action on the Eastern Front is very different to what happens in the West, so along with the organisations and tactics I think it would be a worthwhile move. I have yet to jump but I just wonder at building two large armies and not getting proper use from them. You are very lucky in this respect.

      Delete
  4. George, your dilemmas are very familiar to me. Take a measured approach or jump in with both feet? Well, I jump in with both feet! As for your SYW war project, I think forging ahead sounds good. HoW is a good game and plays very well as a solo endeavor. As for getting collections out on the gaming table but once or twice a year, I feel the same pangs. So many many projects, so little time.

    Finally, BTD is suffering fulfillment issues this year. In past years, orders were fulfilled and delivered quickly. In 2019, not so much. I know BTD USA has had personal issues but I am patient in hope that it will eventually clear the backlog. I have an order waiting for dispatch since May.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel your pain Jonathan. As for BTD I shall simply wait, but May does seem a bit long, I hope you get your stuff soon.

      Delete
    2. I hope they do too, but I am still waiting for BTD to send me the missing pieces of an order from Christmas 2018. Good luck!

      And the Eastern Theater in WWII is very different, and the Chain of Command rules seem to reflect that with their platoon structures and so on.

      Delete
    3. Ost Front very different, as I sat twiddling my thumbs in the PO this morning I sourced what I would need and where to get it, I think I have everything covered, now I just need to win the lottery.

      Delete
  5. You're buzzing with WWII at the moment. Put the 7YW troops back in the draw get get those Ruskies! You know you want too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do want to Ray, but my OCD won't let me go further until I paint these two battalions (err or maybe one).

      Delete