Thursday 6 April 2017

Get off my land

As you know I was away gaming in Yorkshire not so long ago and I liked the scatter terrain used by Michael and Simon, a bit of thought had went into it and with that, along with finishing the villa, I decided to up my game.

 I 'tidied' up my terrain boxes and found two rubberised mats which I wasn't too keen on so they were first up, they had a kind of black and grey stoney ground on them and a rather insipid green grass, so I went at the stoney ground with my usual mix of Flat Earth, Golden Brown and Dark Sand and finished off with a dusting of Late Summer Grass which is my favourite and blends in well with the Deep Cut mats I use.

WIP on the left, the original on the right.
Finished, but not a great photo, the light was bad, but they do look better, believe me.

I have five MDF sheets left now that the villa is based so I decided to tart one up as a little small holding which can be designated uneven or broken ground, I have quite a few Dark Age buildings lying around from my Dux Britanniarum period so grabbed two with a bit of fencing and a tree. I stuck all the bits on the base and then gave it a coat of sharp sand stuck down with PVA. Once dry it got the usual earth coat and a sprinkling of grass, job done.

The 'design' phase.

I dug out a few civilians and some livestock to populate the piece and, like the villa, was going to glue them on the base, but just in time I thought, no, if I simply base them I can if required use them for whatever game or period they fit, and as they are based the same way as the terrain they fit in just nicely. This means I have a more pigs, cows, chickens and civvies to work on later. Also if a bunch of skirmishers or cavalry come galloping by they can just be moved to accommodate them.

Done.

I have been looking at some of Mel the Terrain Tutor's videos and might also get around to tarting up my cornfields etc. Thanks to Matt at the Wargames Table and the recent game of Chain of Command with Phil and Jenny I have also been inspired to get back to work on my WWII terrain, first up will be some fields. After that I just need to get someone to come and play over them, that's the hard part.

12 comments:

  1. Fine looking enhancements there George.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that smallholding. Really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Turned out pretty good for not a lot of effort, more to come.

      Delete
  3. They are lovely pieces of terrain! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. George, I'm always happy to come and have a game of CoC. Phil

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a grand piece of work and no mistake, but I thought the Romans didn't have wheelbarrows?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I saw one in an episode of Plebs :)

      Delete