Monday 3 April 2017

Sharp Practice 2

As you know this is not my cup of tea, although I would probably play it to fight over some nice terrain with beautiful figures, also, if you want someone to play your game you have to play theirs, it's a given, and good manners.


The missus was leaving yesterday for a three week stint babysitting down south and the weather was beautiful, I decided therefore to go for a drive and pop in on the lads at the Keg and Kitchen in Grange-Over-Sands. I got the lid down on the Batmobile and cruised over at a leisurely pace, Grange is a one of those towns around here that just attracts people, like Kirkby Lonsdale, once in the car park I realised I didn't have enough loose change. It must take cards surely, yes it did, but it took me a good five minutes to work out how, it had been the same at the Spar petrol station earlier, I stood around waiting for the attendant to hit the button and found after investigation I had to press buttons on the pump first, easier life no doubt, but not the first time you come across it. I should have paid by card at the pump as the assistant was 'well slow'.




Once I got to Grange I walked in to an empty pub, I eventually found a kind lady and asked her where the toy soldiers was happening and was directed, rather furtively, to the corner, down the stairs and to the left. By the sounds coming from the room I expected something along the lines of Salute, but once in the room I found about a dozen people. It was a bit dark but there were four tables and three games going on around which everyone seemed to be having a blast. There was a 15mm game, a Napoleonic Peninsular bash and Richard Clarke himself, running what looked like AWI or around that era, the two latter tables looked very nice indeed while the 15mm was fairly normal for a club game. There was one more nice table set up for an ACW game later in the day but empty when I appeared.


I had a nice chat with the club guys running the event and also managed to throw some decent dice for Julian at one point. I also met Adam, who runs a GW store, in Kendal, I think and I enjoyed chatting to him for a wee while, he also managed to inform me where to get hold of the old GW paint and one of my favourites "Snakebite Leather" so a result there. There was also talk of a venue in Kendal at some point in the future for wargamers, I mentioned I would like to support that if and when it happens as I am only thirty minutes away.


I was invited to take part in the next game with the rules author but I was only out for a flying visit, so I said my goodbye's and wished the guys luck for the rest of the day. They had done a great job and well done for Two Fat Lardies for supporting them.

4 comments:

  1. Some lovely tables there! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first and last are a piece of the Waterloo battlefield built by Julian, a keen gamer in all periods. Also all the figures were outstanding.

      Delete
  2. Great looking terrain, love the buildings...

    ReplyDelete